Frassee

No spark from the coil

6 posts / 365 viewsLast Reply

Hello, im getting headache. I was driving and parked and next day the car did not start. And the car is not getting any spark to the plugs at all, i've changed coil and everything in ignition way. I ordered an 123 ignition too but did not help im getting 11.30 to the coil but still no spark. Changed sparkplugs and wires but no help. Please help me its a BMW 2002Tii from 73

Check all your ground cables first, then resistance test all of your spark plug wires and make sure all of the connections are tight and clean. I've had a set of brand new wires go bad on me and one where the coil wire contact couldn't reach deep enough down the snout of the coil to touch the contact. Also if you still have your old parts you took off and they were working try replacing them one at a time until you find the problem.

11.30 seems way low.   What kind of coil?.  What year of car.   This subject is beaten to death. Try searching for "no spark" or "bad coil" 

How old are your points?  or are you running the 123?   If so,  what is the 123 reporting as voltage (you can see it in the digital gauges). 

Should check the points gap,  If they close up, there isn't enough coil charging to drive a spark.  Do a manual match book cover gap to get it going until a proper adjustment and ignition timing can be done.

27 minutes ago, jimk said:

Should check the points gap,  If they close up, there isn't enough coil charging to drive a spark. 

Wouldn't closed-up points charge the coil longer?

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Wouldn't closed-up points charge the coil longer?

You are correct.  Cool here this morning, I didn't let my brain warm up before typing.