Scottjeffrey

Right rear noise. Wheel bearing?

13 posts / 550 viewsLast Reply

Hi and thanks for your input. A 1974 base model. Finished new front rotors, pads, master cylinder, wheel bearings, hoses (up front). Bled system during which I removed my drums to take a look in the rear, and cleaned the shoe surface and drums' contact surface. Left shoes unadjusted for now, drums go on and come off easily ( I will be replacing shoes and drums in a few weeks). This is near the first time taking it out since purchase. There is an unmistakable noise coming from the right rear under power or in neutral coasting. Sounds like something rubbing something else. I am wondering if what seems to me to be the most likely conclusion (to me anyway, lol); a bad wheel bearing is perhaps incorrect and I am missing another possible culprit. Your input is very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Scott in Fort Lauderdale 

Mileage?  I would review the work I had done. Jack up that corner and turn wheel. did you adjust e-brake? I seem to recall being able to feel a bit of play rocking wheel at 12 and 5 o'clock before I changes rear bearings

2 hours ago, Hans said:

Mileage?  I would review the work I had done. Jack up that corner and turn wheel. did you adjust e-brake? I seem to recall being able to feel a bit of play rocking wheel at 12 and 5 o'clock before I changes rear bearings

I haven't touched the e-brakes. Planned on putting new cables in when I replace the shoes and drums. Pulling the E-brake lever arm shows no resistance and I believe they are loose and nt interfering in any way. Drums come off easily. I assume they would not if the brake was interfering. I suspect the car has 180k on it though the engine was replaced with a new engine from BMW at 90k. Can't imagine what might be causing the noise other than a bearing but thought I'd ask for any other possible ideas.

Check the torque and the play on your rear hub.

Sometimes they wear and become loose on the splines causing a whir-whir-whir grinding noise, particularly when accelerating and turning as from a stop.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Check the torque and the play on your rear hub.

Sometimes they wear and become loose on the splines causing a whir-whir-whir grinding noise, particularly when accelerating and turning as from a stop.

If loose would you simply tighten or replace bearings and seals? By the way, " whir-whir-whir grinding noise" describes it very well. I was at a loss to find the right words when I posted, lol.

Best Regards,

Scott

How many miles? It depends on the car. Some of my cars, I replaced as "while you are in there" at 100K. Others have 136K, 167K, and 200K+ and they are not noisy. YMMV

You can try to just tighten to the next Cotter key opening, but that only works up to a point. If it is too worn, you will generally have to replace the hub. Sometimes the stub axle splines are worn and then you need to replace that too. New or "good used" are generally fine. I personally like new as then I KNOW what condition it is in.

If you have to take it apart, then you can either re-grease the bearings, or replace. Either way you will have to change the seals. And it is not REALLY necessary to fill the whole space with grease, but you DO need to pack them and the spaces between the bearing and the seals well.

And if you do replace the bearings, remember which shim goes where and / or follow the procedure in the manual.

• Thanks 1

(edited)

I'd start with the obvious:  yes, check the 36mm nut.  If it's at all loose, you've got a project ahead of you.

By the time it starts making noise, you need to go in and reshim.

But:

When it turns out it's tight, look at the hold- down spring, the backing plate,

and the cross- spreader and put up a picture:

sometimes both sides are done wrong, and without visual reference, it's hard to see what's missing

or on upside- down.

Does the noise change when you pull the parking brake while driving?

Is something touching the driveshaft?

Is the tailpipe touching ANYTHING?

Oil in the diff?  

Often, someone else pushing the car on a level surface while you're listening can find it,

if it happens off- power.

hth

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, TobyB said:

I'd start with the obvious:  yes, check the 36mm nut.  If it's at all loose, you've got a project ahead of you.

By the time it starts making noise, you need to go in and reshim.

But:

When it turns out it's tight, look at the hold- down spring, the backing plate,

and the cross- spreader and put up a picture:

sometimes both sides are done wrong, and without visual reference, it's hard to see what's missing

or on upside- down.

Does the noise change when you pull the parking brake while driving?

Is something touching the driveshaft?

Is the tailpipe touching ANYTHING?

Oil in the diff?  

Often, someone else pushing the car on a level surface while you're listening can find it,

if it happens off- power.

hth

t

Thank you Toby for your help. I will get at it per your recommendations hopefully come the weekend. The interior is out of the car other than the driver's seat. It seems very certain the noise is coming from the rear right wheel housing. Tailpipe was not touching anything. Driveshaft is clear. Didn't try pulling up on the handbrake. 

Much appreciated - Scott

Edited by Scottjeffrey

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

the cross- spreader

The "cross spreader" Toby's referring to is the "W" shaped spring that holds the brake shoes in position at their nether ends--AKA "the bitch spring" as it's a bitch to install.  Not one of BMW's better ideas...

If its lower end isn't neatly tucked in behind the retainer that's part of the backing plate, it can make the whirring sound that you hear, as it rubs against the inner portion of the stub axle hub.  And follow the rest of Toby's advice too. 

Lots of things can cause the noise you describe, and a bad rear wheel bearing is well down the list.  I've only replaced one on my two cars, which have a total of 492k miles on 'em.

mike

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mike said:

The "cross spreader" Toby's referring to is the "W" shaped spring that holds the brake shoes in position at their nether ends--AKA "the bitch spring" as it's a bitch to install.  Not one of BMW's better ideas...

If its lower end isn't neatly tucked in behind the retainer that's part of the backing plate, it can make the whirring sound that you hear, as it rubs against the inner portion of the stub axle hub.  And follow the rest of Toby's advice too. 

Lots of things can cause the noise you describe, and a bad rear wheel bearing is well down the list.  I've only replaced one on my two cars, which have a total of 492k miles on 'em.

mike

Thank you Mike. I gave it a cursory look yesterday but next weekend I will really zoom in under the drum. Much appreciated!  Scott

In addition to the 'bitch spring' there's a linkage above that lets the e- brake actuate both shoes.

It usually has a little spring to help keep it from rattling, AND if worn shoes are used with well- worn or turned drums,

the spreader can actually work out of position.  You'll see shiny spots on things if that's the case.

I've actually done a handful of rear wheel bearings, but ALMOST all of those were a case of either

the nut working loose, or a botched previous repair.  One of which was mine.

t

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TobyB said:

In addition to the 'bitch spring' there's a linkage above that lets the e- brake actuate both shoes.

It usually has a little spring to help keep it from rattling, AND if worn shoes are used with well- worn or turned drums,

the spreader can actually work out of position.  You'll see shiny spots on things if that's the case.

I've actually done a handful of rear wheel bearings, but ALMOST all of those were a case of either

the nut working loose, or a botched previous repair.  One of which was mine.

t

I haven't changed a set of rear brakes in a 2002 for over 25 years. I have bought new shoes and drums. All this talk about bitch springs has me a little nervous, lol. I can't remember how hard it was but if I did it once, I can do it again. Thanks Toby for the help. I so enjoy your posts I find. You really seem to be a walking encyclopedia when it comes to these cars!

Yup.  I can make up almost anything on demand to fit most situations!

heh

t

glibly

• Haha 1