Jason Hoffer

Hi and...thoughts on this 2002 for sale

14 posts / 826 viewsLast Reply

Hi All,

New to the forum and 2002s in general but been lurking around here to educate myself.  I've always loved the look and ethos/character of the 2002.   

I'm looking for a weekend car that I can drive on the streets/canyons and take to the track occasionally (realistically maybe 4 or 5 HPDE events a year).  The car below definitely looks track worthy and hopefully street-able.  I'm on the other coast (Los Angeles area) so seeing this car is not possible

Anyway, curious people's thoughts (link below).  It is also on ebay. 

https://asgmiami.com/vehicles/39/1972-bmw-2002

Appreciate any opinions and thanks in advance.

Jason

Looks fun! Pretty sure the body is not a 72, wrong bumpers, and the grills are definitely from an older car.

It’s a pretty car and most likely a lot of fun but I would be slightly wary of that new paint job.

Do your due diligence with regards to rust. A good look under the carpets and up under the front wings. What about around the rear subframe mounts? Bit nervous about the trunk area too.  They took the time to nicely apply trunk liner over everything, including the tank but left everything below the top of the inner wings untouched under the hood. Some pretty gnarly overspray as well. 

What’s the deal with the race class you are interested in and a ‘bolt in’ cage? Check that cage is allowed and anything else that may be required for scrutiny. What are the harnesses attached to?

It’s a bit vague about what class it may run in. The unspecified engine modifications and ‘big brakes’ might push it into an uncompetitive class. 

$20 K is a lot of money if that has any un-revealed issues. I would give it a very thorough going over, preferably with it up in the air on a hoist. 

8 hours ago, Jason Hoffer said:

'm looking for a weekend car that I can drive on the streets/canyons and take to the track occasionally (realistically maybe 4 or 5 HPDE events a year).

From the description and pictures, this is a track car that can be driven on the street--if you really want to.  But it's really a track car that's streetable, and what you want is just the opposite--a street car that you can do driver's schools, autocrosses etc a few times a year.  

I'd want to know who did all the track mods--they can be done very well, or very poorly depending on the constructor.  And the price is what you'd expect to pay for a very nicely sorted restoration with a few tasteful period mods (wheels, suspension, mild engine mods, etc).  A track car like this has a much smaller market...

Think about what you stated you want, then compare with this car to see if it matches.  Lotsa 2002s out there; just make sure this is what you want.  But still think the price is high...

mike

• Like 3

I like it but I don't think you will around town. Track set up will most likely jar your fillings on the street. Mike ^^^ hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for the responses everyone and particularly Mike and Simeon. It is definitely more track focused than I need and I agree, seeing the car for better inspection and knowing who and how the mods we're done is important.

I'd be much more interested at $12 - 15k as then I'd have a cushion to address any issues and perhaps dial it down/back a bit.

Thanks again everyone for the responses, what a great community.

Jason

Not much to add that hasn't been said. Picking a nicely sorted street car with suspension mods feels like the right answer.

This is a nicely photographed 02 but the devil is in the details. The bright blue paint could cover quite a bit - and does in fact (why paint the hood lock rod?). Also, I see where the lower rocker trim was screwed to the body in front of the drivers side rear wheel. Could be nothing but would need to be inspected carefully prior to purchase. $15-20k doesn't seem crazy if everything is done right.

Good cars are still out there and sticking to the western half of the US enables you to more easily see what you are getting. The fun part is in hunt!

Jason

I really like the safety of the rubber fuel line going right over the battery in the trunk, I'm sure that would pass track tech inspection!!!!

(edited)

You're in SoCal, which is pretty much the sweet spot location to be looking for these. There are cars around here with little to no rust, contrary to what some people (here) will say.  

The two things that the wise men here preach are as follows - buy the car with the least amount of rust that you can find, and don't buy a car that you haven't seen.  So calm down, take a deep breath, and go about this logically...which, I understand, is hard to do. Having a passion for these cars is not a bad thing! These are fun cars to drive stock...one need not have a hot rodded one to put a grin on your face.

Edited by otisdog
more coffee...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bob02 said:

Wouldn't 2576820 be a 1971?

Bob

Yes, Bob, very possibly manufactured in late July or early August 1971, making it a 1971 model.

Regards,

Steve

13 hours ago, Jason Hoffer said:

Hi All,

New to the forum and 2002s in general but been lurking around here to educate myself.  I've always loved the look and ethos/character of the 2002.   

I'm looking for a weekend car that I can drive on the streets/canyons and take to the track occasionally (realistically maybe 4 or 5 HPDE events a year).  The car below definitely looks track worthy and hopefully street-able.  I'm on the other coast (Los Angeles area) so seeing this car is not possible

Anyway, curious people's thoughts (link below).  It is also on ebay. 

https://asgmiami.com/vehicles/39/1972-bmw-2002

Appreciate any opinions and thanks in advance.

Jason

Jason,

As far as I can tell, 70% of this world’s best (meaning “least rusty”) ‘02’s are in California. Someone from the LA area should be finding an ‘02 within easy driving distance so he/she can actually crawl under and poke at the car.

Guess where I — living in Atlanta at the time — looked for and found my very-low-rust ‘73 tii? How’d ya guess? Yes, the LA area.

Good luck,

Steve

7 hours ago, bob02 said:

Wouldn't 2576820 be a 1971?

I believe Bob is correct.  The folks at BMW Classic told me that the cutoff between '71 and '72 models (that's model year, not calendar year) was somewhere between 2576875 and 2577438, so apparently this car is one of the last '71s to be built. 

The factory always went by calendar year, not model year like we do, so it would be a matter of contacting BMW Classic with that VIN to see its production date.  If it was built before 1 Sept, it would be a '71; after that date, a '72, at least according to US regulations.  But to muddy the waters, often a previous model year's car sold after 1 Sept could be titled as the following year, especially if they were nearly identical (like VW Beetles, Renault Dauphines, Fiat 600s etc).

mike