roman.lysiak

73tii first notch 5mm pin settting for idle

12 posts / 326 viewsLast Reply

Back at it again. Watching Mike G's AFR discussion and realizing that I'm way too rich (keep fouling plugs) Mine was idling at 10.

I'm resetting the whole linkage and D cam.  I'm finding that I can't get the 5mm pin to go in the setting hole on the first notch of the pump arm. The arm is too high. What do I need to back off so that the arm can rest (lower) in line with the setting hole.  Is it at the pedal?

Cheers

Roman

(edited)

The easiest adjustment would be to lengthen the vertical throttle linkages on the firewall or rotate the arm that connects the vertical linkage to the rod that goes through the pedal box. 

Edited by Mike G
Words

Thanks. Just did that. Got the pin to set in the hole. Set everything to zero according to tii manual. Gave the mixture screw another half turn. Cleaned plugs. Fires right up. Start driving and she’s backfiring. Timing set to [email protected] Keep fouling plugs. Weird thing is that when I put the cyl 1 sensor of my timing gun, it has a hard time picking up a pulse and intermittently hesitated to flash. Brings me right back to square one with spark problem. I have a 1.8ohm ballast resistor. Are there any that have a lower resistance. Will try bi passing it to see it it helps with spark. Making me crazy. 3.5hrs of setting and resetting and cleaning plugs. Think I’ve had them In and out at least 6 tokes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without ballast resistor I can finally get a strong signal and set timing properly. But still runs like crap under load. Fuel pressure good at 28. New cap rotor wires. Adjusted valves. I have no more ideas.

If it worked for 20 years then that’s definitely not the problem but here’s more info anyways 

I have no personal experience with the ie distributor but from what I’ve read on this forum they aren’t the best option and have been known to have issues right out of the box. 

I think I’m finding that. Going to send out my old Bosch one to get rebuilt and put some points back in. Go old school.

• Like 1

There's a LOT of information on here about setting up a tii kfish.  A lot.  Following the manual might have been fine when EVERYTHING was brand new but none of it is now.  You could start with pulling the 4mm pin out and covering half of that hole with the D cam. 

• Like 1