Sign in to follow this  
berjkara

Ride Height Question

8 posts / 584 viewsLast Reply

I have a 74’ that used to sit like a monster truck. Bought 1.5 inch lowering springs and threw them on the fronts only. Rears still have stock springs, yet the front sits higher. I have also taken out the stock spacers on the front yet it still sits higher than the rear while having lowering springs. Any of you had this problem or a solution? 

2086092F-22C4-4D4E-8608-7A3255D460CF.jpeg

It looks pretty good in that photo.  The rear wheel arch is lower by design and that can be misleading when gauging height.  What does it measure between the pavement and the rocker at the jacking points?  I set mine at level, but later read that the rear should be almost an inch higher.

There were three different upper spring pads for the rear and they are denoted by dots on the pad, with a one dot being the thinnest and three being the tallest.  Each step affects it by about half an inch.  You may want to go to a thicker pad, if you have a thin one.  Another solution is to shim that pad with a homemade doughnut of some sort.

33 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

It looks pretty good in that photo.  The rear wheel arch is lower by design and that can be misleading when gauging height.  What does it measure between the pavement and the rocker at the jacking points?  I set mine at level, but later read that the rear should be almost an inch higher.

There were three different upper spring pads for the rear and they are denoted by dots on the pad, with a one dot being the thinnest and three being the tallest.  Each step affects it by about half an inch.  You may want to go to a thicker pad, if you have a thin one.  Another solution is to shim that pad with a homemade doughnut of some sort.

What do you think recon I could do to drop the front besides getting new springs? I like the way the rear sits, just want to match the front up. Do you think the stock struts have anything to do with it?

some people cut their springs to achieve their ideal look...

whereas some people prefer a more ground clearance and suspension travel, to a car that looks fast.

I am in the second group of people, but someone from the first group will probably chime in to help you.

How is the camber in the rear? 

Mine still has a bit much, so raising it in back will help; since camber increases in the rear as it sits lower.

Besides the aluminum spacers inserted in the front suspension of all US 2002s, the 73-76 cars had factory springs that were about an inch taller than the 68-72 cars.  This was one of the ways BMW met bumper height requirements that were part of the impact requirements that began with the 1973 models.  Thus with a 73 roundie, or any squarelight, you're starting an inch higher than with the earlier cars...

mike 

5 hours ago, berjkara said:

, just want to match the front up.

It already matches.  As Mintgrun asks, what is the height from the pavement to the rocker (front/back)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

It already matches.  As Mintgrun asks, what is the height from the pavement to the rocker (front/back)?

I agree.  Judging by rocker clearance, it looks pretty good as it sits.

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Take a look at the light/shadow under my car.  You can see a little more light under the rear rocker than front as Mintgrun mentions as correct ride height.  This is on ST Lowering springs, no spacers in the front, and Ireland Engineering lower spring pads in the rear.  I'm not sure how many dots the upper pads have.

273929954_Campagnolo(2of5).thumb.jpg.436b62ef8b918ddab9f09317e544f764.jpg

(edited)
12 hours ago, berjkara said:

Bought 1.5 inch lowering springs and threw them on the fronts only.

Did you buy all a full set of lowering springs? If so, are you sure you put the correct springs on the front? Front Springs are different than the rear springs. (Rear springs are typically taller)

more info here

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1