NYTransplant

$10.05 fix for keeping pop-out vent windows from closing

12 posts / 970 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

There have been a couple rear vent window threads here in the past few days, but I thought I'd start a new one rather than burying this fix three pages deep.

For $9.99 plus the cost of four 8mm Nylon washers, this works pretty well, and isn't terribly obtrusive.

I bought two bicycle seat-post clamps on Amazon for $4.99 each.  I used silver because I have chrome latch hardware.  They also come in black if you have the black window latches.  Since I didn't have any 8mm Nylon Washers, I bought a box of assorted Nylon washers from Amazon, but if you already have these, they're super cheap.  I paid $10 for the 600pc box.  That makes the 4 washers total just under $0.07. ?

IMG_20190823_144121.thumb.JPG.915c0261bed5e795b39c2403444a3fe2.JPG

The clamps needed no modification and I didn't even have to remove the latch from the car.  I removed the old bolt and slid this in its place. They are a perfect diameter for the hole (~6mm).

I was a little disappointed at first because when I pushed it down all the way it actually loosened up rather than tightened. The clamps were overcentering a bit too far.  Once I had the nut adjusted correctly, it actually worked out better.  I just pull up on it rather than push down to tighten, and it doesn't need much travel.  Here's a video of how it works.  Please forgive my dirty headliner.  I need to give it a good scrub. ?

IMG_20190823_144016.MOV

Edited by NYTransplant
  • Like 8

Man, that's awesome. Good job. Archiving the thread for future use.

As for the headliner, go buy yourself a $4 tub of GOOP hand cleaner at HD or Autozone. Put some on your headliner, let it sit a few minutes and then wipe off with a damp rag. Works wonders!

Nick

20181009_162157.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

Man, that's awesome. Good job. Archiving the thread for future use.

As for the headliner, go buy yourself a $4 tub of GOOP hand cleaner at HD or Autozone. Put some on your headliner, let it sit a few minutes and then wipe off with a damp rag. Works wonders!

Nick

20181009_162157.jpg

Thanks Nick.  I actually have Orange Hand Cleaner and Goop.  All I need now is to "just do it". ?

Thank you very much for posting this. Great stuff

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

An easier and cheaper fix if you have one of the all chrome quarter window latches (used until VIN 25874xx +/-, mid '73 production).

Tighten the little screw slot atop the chrome ball.  I have a stubby screwdriver with a ground-down blade whose sole purpose in life is to tighten those screws.  Re-tighten once a year or so (depending on how rough your roads are) and they'll stay open.  I fastened a cup hook to a dowel of appropriate length, opened the cup hook out a little and can open/close the pax side quarter window from the driver's seat.   A lot easier than adapting the power quarter window openers from a Mopar van...

mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike said:

An easier and cheaper fix if you have one of the all chrome quarter window latches (used until VIN 25874xx +/-, mid '73 production).

Tighten the little screw slot atop the chrome ball.  I have a stubby screwdriver with a ground-down blade whose sole purpose in life is to tighten those screws.  Re-tighten once a year or so (depending on how rough your roads are) and they'll stay open. 

Agreed.  My passenger side has this style, and it always stays open.  My driver's side had the plastic nut, and no matter how many times I tightened it, I'd eventually find it closed after a drive.

4 hours ago, mike said:

I fastened a cup hook to a dowel of appropriate length, opened the cup hook out a little and can open/close the pax side quarter window from the driver's seat. 

Brilliant!

Quick update...

This fix only works with the newer style latches.  The older style with the chrome knobs that @mike mentioned have a much smaller shaft diameter (~4mm) than the larger diameter shoulder screw with the plastic knob (~6mm).  These types of clamps will not fit through the hole.

Then again, if you have the older style, you can get the knob quite a bit tighter with the screw head, so you really don't need this fix.  ?

Tim

3 hours ago, bianchini said:

@NYTransplant thanks for doing this! Also, on amazon, I can't tell if the order comes with 1 or 2 bike clamps. All the photos show 2 clamps... 

Price on Amazon is per each, not per pair.  Not very clear on Amazon.

Don

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 5:13 AM, NYTransplant said:

There have been a couple rear vent window threads here in the past few days, but I thought I'd start a new one rather than burying this fix three pages deep.

For $9.99 plus the cost of four 8mm Nylon washers, this works pretty well, and isn't terribly obtrusive.

I bought two bicycle seat-post clamps on Amazon for $4.99 each.  I used silver because I have chrome latch hardware.  They also come in black if you have the black window latches.  Since I didn't have any 8mm Nylon Washers, I bought a box of assorted Nylon washers from Amazon, but if you already have these, they're super cheap.  I paid $10 for the 600pc box.  That makes the 4 washers total just under $0.07. ?

IMG_20190823_144121.thumb.JPG.915c0261bed5e795b39c2403444a3fe2.JPG

The clamps needed no modification and I didn't even have to remove the latch from the car.  I removed the old bolt and slid this in its place. They are a perfect diameter for the hole (~6mm).

I was a little disappointed at first because when I pushed it down all the way it actually loosened up rather than tightened. The clamps were overcentering a bit too far.  Once I had the nut adjusted correctly, it actually worked out better.  I just pull up on it rather than push down to tighten, and it doesn't need much travel.  Here's a video of how it works.  Please forgive my dirty headliner.  I need to give it a good scrub. ?

IMG_20190823_144016.MOV 17.07 MB · 113 downloads

Any chance of some pics please, for some strange reason i cant watch the clip. TIA.

(edited)

3 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Any chance of some pics please, for some strange reason i cant watch the clip. TIA.

Sure. Here’s basically what the video shows.

The first is locked  E101AA3C-8CA7-492C-91A8-C3FF1E066667.thumb.jpeg.1c28aedd401ca540b9fb3ad8afaf9ff4.jpeg

Push down to unlock 

D1EFB5CC-AD66-44D8-8019-F248C7B3815F.thumb.jpeg.e98d31729623cf8f90a9d1ceb46f18a3.jpeg

And closed 

452322F0-9484-45B5-9C0B-DC56E3BBBA2E.thumb.jpeg.123615b735e592754e32533e3a8c870a.jpeg

Close up

EFF76A4B-FD88-4147-9872-8182F0F4C771.thumb.jpeg.7a1c4eb69c6221d2cf9c89867b243009.jpeg

Cheers!

Edited by NYTransplant