2002Scoob

Since the embarassment has finally worn off...

24 posts / 1202 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I thought I would share a recent 'DOUGH' brain-fart moment I had, and just comment on a most excellent customer service experience with a BMW dealership in the middle-of-nowhere-Germany I had a while ago. 

A good friend of mine from back home in California was on a work trip to Amsterdam, where I coincidentally bought my car 5 years ago. It was kinda a special reunion roadtrip, because when I bought it up there and drove it back to Freiburg 7 hours into the night... It ran pretty poorly, had shockingly shot shocks, no working gas gauge, no working headlights, and was overall a mess. The return voyage she was a completely different car.

Anyway... I got up at 4, and was out the door by 5am (not normal for me). I was also out of coffee. No bueno. I need coffee to function like Brunhilde needs gasoline. 

I checked my oil level, and was maybe a quarter liter low, so I topped it up, and got on my way. 

Maybe 1.5 hours down the road I decided to stop for a coffee at a rest-stop, and as I walked in a polite gentleman asked if the car was overheating, saying there was a touch of steam or smoke coming out of my car, to which I balked, 'no way, she's dialed, but I'll take a look'.

Sure enough, there was a few wisps of something coming outa the hood... and when I popped it open I was mortified. When I had topped up the oil in my groggy coffeeless state, I hadn't twisted down the oil cap, and it was now long-gone and had been puking oil outa the valve cover all over the engine bay, and was dribbling into the header. There had been no telltale signs of anything, no weird smells...

Upon checking the dipstick, it was now 3/4 a liter low... Thank god not much, so there was no risk of engine damage... but I was nowhere near a town, and wasn't about to drive any further without a way to cap it, and risk an engine fire. 

Thankfully I have ADAC+, and they got there in 45 minutes and towed me red-faced to a BMW dealer in a tiny little village nearby... At this point I was feeling about as dumb as dumb can be, and was pissed at the likely reality that there's no way they have an oil-cap for a 2002 in stock and I wouldn't be making it up to Amsterdam that weekend.

And of course they didn't. Or anything else that would be a substitute, and they told me they would have to order it...

At this point I was feeling about as low as could be, and was about to lean on ADAC's rental car policy (also why ADAC here rocks. Free rentals for breakdowns) but I was really looking forward to driving the car. 

So I told him, go ahead and order it... I'll call for a rental car, to which he replied "but why? it will be here in 1 hour."

1 HOUR. For an exact match part-number correct, 2002 oil cap. In a TINY village, an hour away from the next biggest town. I don't know how that works. There must have been a distribution warehouse down the street. 

Oh, and the cost? 14 euro, and a walk down the street to their sister BMW motorcycle dealer to get a liter of 20w50.  

Cloud 9, so stoked. Hell yah. Sure enough, by the time I had cleaned up my engine-bay of oil, DHL had arrived with my oil cap, and I was on my way :) That was the only hiccup for the entire trip. 

Just thought i'd share. Thanks BMW! :)

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 19

done it! I used a plastic bag doubled up and a fat rubber band to get home

What a dealer! That's beyond good customer service and a heroic effort on

their part

• Like 3

I too had my oil cap come loose but Kar Karma must have been with me...it slid down the valve cover and lodged on the intake manifold, next to the carburetor.  I had a heck of a mess to clean up, but didn't have to find a new oil cap.  I bent the clamping ears down a bit and it hasn't come loose since.

mike

• Like 2

(edited)

'Scoob I gave you a 'like' because that took courage to admit that

on an online forum read by millions of BMW owners around the world in 300 countries

Edited by iinca
  • Like 3

an online forum read by 14 BMW nutjobs around the world in 300 countries

Yeah, I've NEVER done ANYTHING like that.

Gatorade bottles used to jam into there pretty well.  But I think they're bigger now.

The valve cover cap's not super critical- the rag's only a bad idea because it'll act like a wick if it 

drapes all the way down to the exhaust manifold and catches fire.  Otherwise, almost anything works.  well enough.

Still, that level of dedication on behalf of a dealer is probably only seen in der Fatherland these days.

t

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Scoob I'm heading to Amsterdam tomorrow. Although I'll make it a two day trip as I won't use Autobahns.

From there to England Scotland Ireland England Goodwood Revial and then back home. Should have been the first long drive in my 1600 but I didn't manage to finish it in time so we'll take the 3.0 Csi.

• Like 1

Yah... I contemplated just shoving a rag in/over it, and taping it up, but I didn’t have any brake cleaner to clean it up enough to make it stick, and didn’t like the possibility of having a rag somehow get pulled into the valvetrain, or be blown off and now there’s an oily rag on the header

The folks at the dealership were awesome, it was in a little village called Achern and I wasn’t expecting to be able to get a replacement so fast, or be that cheap.

Not the view you wanna see when ya pop your hood...
1b7a54f70c9d6647b978cd0cfcf0952a.jpg

210752c4cf36404f3c3f447f2a50d0a6.jpg

But finally made it!
900b940caef2888c6a2a39da9eabe3ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

And to think I’ve heard tell that classic motoring is dead in Europe. 

7 hours ago, iinca said:

done it! I used a plastic bag doubled up and a fat rubber band to get home

Nice! Granted this was in the Subaru, but using what I could get at the only gas station within walking distance, this rubber kitchen glove super-glued over the crack and reinforced with duct tape the help handle the pressure of expansion effectively stopped my cracked radiator tank leak for the full 200 miles it took to finish getting home!

1536481189_2014-07-3019_40_29.thumb.jpg.9a270f180d4469e30e6d74f2e260976d.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Not the view you wanna see when ya pop your hood...
1b7a54f70c9d6647b978cd0cfcf0952a.jpg

Dual Webers and lots of crinkle finish isn't a bad view as far as I'm concerned. Notwithstanding the missing oil cap 😉  Beautiful!

• Like 1

Dual Webers and lots of crinkle finish isn't a bad view as far as I'm concerned. Notwithstanding the missing oil cap   Beautiful!

Hah! Thanks :) I’m a sucker for crinkle. The motor will be for sale this winter if anyone wants a turn-key Motor with only a few thousand kilometers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thankfully there was a happy ending to your story! Your car is gorgeous. I'll share a story to hopefully quell your embarrassment. 

A month or two ago I was doing some work on my e36 with a small socket kit, that has a plastic case. I had it on the intake (flat surface) while I was fuddling with my headlights. Fast forward 2 days later..."where the hell are my sockets?" I open my engine bay and boom, there they were, still sitting on top of the engine. This was after at least 125 miles of highway cruising. Everything was still in there though! 

One time I also left the radiator cap off while driving my 02. Luckily I caught it before the car warmed up...

• Haha 1

Don’t be embarrassed. I left the sump plug out after changing oil. Expensive oil went in but then it was drained and mixed with old dirty oil in drain bucket under the car. That 4L Liqui Moli cost me $70 and total cost of oil was $140. If that happened to any of my mates, I would’ve used it against them on every drinking occasions. So remember me when when you feel embarrassed. I’m sure it’ll make you feel better.

• Like 2

(edited)
On 8/24/2019 at 1:51 AM, Sahara said:

And to think I’ve heard tell that classic motoring is dead in Europe. 

weird, who says that? In the UK you don't need an MOT (annual techincal inspection) anymore for anything over 30 years old (and they're still part of europe for at least another couple of months!) And the industry was worth £5.5 billion in 2016.

Here in France the test is every 5 years - my NK sails through every time. Insurance is dirt cheap. Parts, well you know. And many of the car restrictions in city areas that are cropping up to cut back emissions are exempt to historic registered vehicles.

Back to the subject.. I drove my old m2 to Holland for the Leylstad meet in 2011 - had the oil pan off for something or another before hand and driving at speed on a dutch autoroute I heard something large and metallic bounce off the bottom of the car. Hit the hard shoulder quickly and turned her off. Underside of the car was well covered with oil as the sump plug was conspicuous by its absence.

Due to a whining diff I'd thrown a spare in the back - yep, oil drain plugs are a match, and had another 5 litres of oil in the boot. So whilst I was up and running again in minutes I rather embarassingly left a James Bond oil hazard down the road. But the s14 was saved.

Edited by NickVyse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1