• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust free project car price?

Poorhouse

Those doors must have a lot of corrosion along the lower skin/inner sill but thats common. So common I don't even factor that when estimating how "solid" a car is.

Dont like the look of the rust patch located at fwd pass rocker/fender interface either.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 hours ago, NYNick said:

You're staring at $15-25K worth of work (depends on the body rust). Budget accordingly.

I started down that road, then deleted-

those c-list pictures are just too small to tell.

AND it depends on what you want at the end.  Making a 

'new' car out of that will cost $50k if you pay someone else to do it.

Getting it on the road may be anywhere from few hundred dollar proposition

for tires, oil, brake seals and fluid, coolant and new plug wires

if it was parked because a wire failed, and the person who parked it drained the coolant

and oiled down the cylinders and covered the exhaust and intake,

to several thousand, if it was parked for a rod knock and you have to 

swap the engine.

But from the limited pix, it's not a bad candidate, especially if you want 

a driving, unrestored car, and want to work on it yourself.  The nose isn't hard to fix-

grilles are expensive IF you want shiny.  

my take,

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'm going to pass on it.

Stored outside.  Definitely some mouse infestation in trunk and engine compartment.

So there will be some rust there and all the suspension, etc.

I think it would be a solid base for a project though.  Just more work than I have time for now.

He put a bunch more pics in the add.  Looking at that interior still make me want to do it.

He's asking $1200 obo.

Link to ad:

https://kalispell.craigslist.org/pts/d/kalispell-1974-bmw-2002-coupe-parts-or/6960968003.html

• Like 1

From all the pine needles on top of the blower motor I'd say this car has been outside for many years. It could probably be saved but you'd have to invest more than it would be worth, for $1200 I'd buy it just for the parts. You could easily part it out and double your money.

Kalispell is dry- I'd gamble $1200 on that in a heartbeat. 

If I had a tow rig I trusted to make the run...

t

not parting as many 2002s these days

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Here's one that's on the Facebook 2002 classifieds that does have some rust but is said to be a good runner for 5k. Owned buy the same person for the last 11 years and looks decent. If all you want to do is enjoy driving a 2002 than this may work for you as is. If you want a rust free car then pass.

*Edit* I just checked again and it's sold... Looks like it was a good price... Sorry. 4b0177d23a306304749b657acc3d0432.jpg&key=51803208a1d6a74d952a65375361652745701e6a371db20ced94c29377d5d52d

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend that you reconsider you passing on the car, 1.2k OBO is a good price.  Finding an 02 in the middle of nowhere Montana in that condition is a planets are aligned event.   Look at the project blogs in the 2002FAQ with the work involved in bringing a car back to life.  The ad has your favorite words, "or best offer".   Show up with a trailer and make a low ball cash offer and tell the seller you'll make the car disappear because you'll bring it back to life, it will probably follow you home after some negotiation.    As others have said, you'll find rust somewhere, it's a no cost option on 02's.   I found rust on this 74 tii shell and it spent its life in CA.  I traded a Euro spec E28 525e that I paid $1.7K for in 2009 and traded it for the tii shell in 2010.

IMG_4402.jpg

Img_2040.jpg

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

If it were a Tii it would already be here.

I agree with all your points.  For $1k I can't go wrong.  I could let it sit until I have time for it, or until someone made me a better offer.

My favorite color combo to which isn't helping me say no.

I spent the last winter resurrecting a '89 325i that had sat outside in the same area for 10 years.  That car has no rust at all.  It wasn't parked under pine trees though which helped.

The issue is the '89 was an unplanned project.  It pushed back some work I had planned to do last winter on the wife's E30 convertible which has limited her driving time this summer.  I have an old truck project in the hole waiting for attention as well.

I'm 48 now and made a deal with myself to not bring home anymore cars I don't have time to get going on.

So, with everything going on I'm passing on this one.  There will be another project car somewhere in the future.

1 hour ago, Poorhouse said:

If it were a Tii it would have cost me $10K.

Fixing that...

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)