• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust free project car price?

Poorhouse

Just my opinion from buying couple cars in this condition the last few years and from looking at as many car listings as I can everyday. Also, keep in mind I’m from LA so prices are a little higher around us since the whole country looking in our backyard for rust-free shells.

For that car:

0-2000 good deal

2000-4000 current Craigslist market rate

5000 theres something special/original about it, like hot rod engine with rare parts or preserved original interior.

5000-7000 it’s a Tii

7000+ forget it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

Is it "rust free" with a little rust, or "rust free" with a lot of rust. For sure it has some☹️

What part of the Country was it parked in for 30 years?

• Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If that car is Riviera,  I bought a very similar one in April.  I am in the south, and I paid 2000 for my '73,  it is not rust free,  but it is very minimal and does not have any rust in the usual places.  The shock towers are insanely clean as well as the floors,  a-pillars and wheel wells.  It does have some surface rust under the trim,  through rust in the boot floor, rear window frame is bad, drivers sill and the head light buckets too. Mine came with a 1.8 from an 1982 320i.  Yours looks to be in better shape than mine,  I would buy that car in a second. I warn you though,  there will be rust somewhere...

IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_0061.jpg

• Like 1

Coupla thoughts...

• Was it stored indoors or outdoors?  That makes a difference...
  • The trunk picture shows what looks like the remains of a huge rodent nest...mouse pee is more corrosive than road salt, so check under the seats, under the plywood trunk boards, inside the glovebox etc
  • Unless the car spent the last 30 years in the Atcama Desert, there's gonna be rust somewhere.  It's what 2002s do.  Even a leaky master cylinder will rust out the driver's side frame rail.  

That being said, little rust and lots of mechanical work is much better than rusty and running.  Any car that sat for 30 years is gonna need a lot of mechanical help, but that's much easier than repairing rust!

BTW, a Riviera car would have had a dark blue or black interior, not saddle...so either the car was originally another color (Malaga, Agave, Sahara) or someone swapped the interior.

mike

PS-those scrunched grilles and bent nose are gonna be close to a grand in parts if the grilles can't be straightened...a dickering point.

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

location, location, location--  and who you know, and who knows you're looking for something.

I'm outa the loop these days- that's a 1k (max) project car in my head.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

6 hours ago, Poorhouse said:

Yeah, certainly some rust but nothing structural per seller.

Ok, from the pics that seems highly unlikely. I just can't see a car in that condition being 100% solid.

Hopefully the carpets, trunk boards and such are out when you look.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Not seeing it today.  Did get some more pics that look promising.

Car is from Montana.   Off the road since 1986 based on the plates.  They started salting here 10 years ago so it missed that.

Edited by Poorhouse

Parked 30 years?  Indoor or outdoor?  The patina on the hood says "outdoors"

That's a lot of moisture hitting the bottom of that car.

Almost guaranteed that something is rotten.

On the plus side, these cars are very saveable with some metal work know-how.

Unless it's some limited-edition-super-rare car, I'd say $1K - $2K.  it will nickel and dime you well over $10K on just the mechanicals (ask me how I know)

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

I liked hellayego’s pricing analysis, although I believe round taillight tii’s might be higher than his schedule shows. (Oh, wait... is that just wishful thinking? ?)

Does the car have its original numbers-matching engine? That’s good but not essential, unless your goal is a very stock and original car.

And, to Mike’s point, although a Riviera exterior with a saddle interior is a gorgeous combo, I’ve never seen or heard of a car coming from the factory with that combination.  That’s just saying that something here has probably been changed along the way... ?

Send the VIN in an email to BMW Group Archives and request their data on the car. Within two business days, you’ll get a confirmation of the factory exterior color and original build date. The email address is info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)