• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I saw a 2002 for sale...

El Scorcho

I don't see a lot of 2002s around so when I was driving to work and saw this '75 for sale, I was shocked.  Note says it has "rod knock" and rusty floor boards and dents.  Would "rod knock" basically mean a total rebuild?  I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not afraid to dive into a project.  I'd pay for someone to do the rebuild though.  The thing I like about it is the $3K price but I'm guessing it would take over $5k to get it running well enough to drive around...  This evening I was able to take a few pictures.

117247379_20190821_192508_HDR2.thumb.jpg.bc8f695ba22bcd8865e7080d7b39f238.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the rusty floor.  Mechanical stuff doesn't scare me but bodywork does.  Those rusty floors could very easily mean there's a lot more rust lurking and if you are not a DIY'er, the costs could really add up.

As for the engine, you could probably find a replacement engine that may end up costing much less than rebuilding what you have.

Edited by Healey3000
  • Like 1

Body, motor, interior, and trim. You have motor work, rust and dents to deal with. I see missing front bumper but other trim appears to be present. How is the interior? Is everything there? Headrests with wide mounts are from an earlier car.
For $3k you have a "project", now all you need is time, money, space to work, and an understanding wife. If you have those, go for it.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's a sunroof car so if the floors are rusty the frame rails probably are too, on cars with a sunroof the drains for the sunroof drain into the frame rails and cause them to rust from the inside out.  I am guessing if water was leaking into the car it was also draining into the rails.  I would check the condition of the frame rails before pulling the trigger on this one.

74 Golf

it is so great, and timely, to read this thread and hear the advice from you guys with lots of experience and 02's under your rust belt.  I just saw this 72 Golf at a local gas station, really rough shape, I mean there are towels on the passenger floor and yes it has a sun roof, also he wants $4000, I would not offer $2000, so the wisdom about, time, space, money and wife really hit home, I think I will keep my money, and spend some time playing round of golf instead of playing around with this golf, ?

72 Golf.jpg

• Like 4

At some point in time people should consider the cost benefit analysis of parting out a car for the price some sellers are asking or willing to accept. Personally, I'd NEVER part out a car because it would take more time than I care to invest in such an endeavor. 

Some of these are just that. Parts cars. Choose your battles.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

+ many comments on rust....that's your #1 concern when it comes to a Rescue Bimmer, 2002 variety.  It's usually '76s that have Flintstonemobile floors due to poor quality seam sealer on the drain plugs in the front floorboards.  Besides those floorboards and previously mentioned inner frame rails (not the rockers, the inner frame rails) also examine the inner fender arches in the trunk.  Badly rusted ones are usually what consigns an '02 to the parts car category.  

As for the "rod knock" other than race cars, rod bearing failure is very uncommon on M10 motors, so it may well be something else masquerading as a rod knock...and BTW, at least from the picture, it doesn't look like a factory color; but that's the least of your worries!

Keep us posted...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite