• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golde Sunroof Deflectors

Driv3r

Whos got the sunroof deflectors and how did you install it? I'm having a nightmare by just loking at these fragile parts. Has anyone taken any pictures during the install? 

20181205_010727778_iOS.thumb.jpg.6d126937fe90a729d8e72ca0d8be5afc.jpg

(pic source google)

IMG_2952.jpg.0ef5f5be614b4abf20fd1b62acceafeb.jpg

Edited by Driv3r

Fit the hinges to the cable guide pieces, assemble centre section to the car, then one side section at a time, slotting the deflector into the hinge as you go...once both sides are in and flaposity is confirmed, glue the plastic rubbing/slides in place.

Thinking about it further: I believe you'll need to remove the corner pieces of the cable guides to get the front cable guides installed...once all the above is done then carefully slide the corner piece in under the deflector.

Edited by dlacey
  • Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

4 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Fit the hinges to the cable guide pieces, assemble centre section to the car, then one side section at a time, slotting the deflector into the hinge as you go...once both sides are in and flaposity is confirmed, glue the plastic rubbing/slides in place.

Thanks, what about the springs? Also what glue did you use? The instruction manual supplied had listed a number of brands that are not available here. Would JB weld suffice?

I would use a removable glue...mine are glued with a rubber contact adhesive.

I cant comment on the springs, as i never dismantled the hinges themselves on mine, I've just removed & refitted the cable guides.

I can take close-up pics of mine if it helps (?)

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

Don't start the job yet.  Let me get you more info.   The spring is tricky.

Stan has 2 prices because assembly is time-consuming.  Securing the spring properly requires clamps and JBweld, IMHO.  Fitting the spring into the couplers is finicky. 

Stans instructions are pretty good but I think I have some extra pictures I took. 

My deflector has been trouble free for 5 years so don't stress.  I'll post pics asap. 

• Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Don't start the job yet.  Let me get you more info.   The spring is tricky.

Stan has 2 prices because assembly is time-consuming.  Securing the spring properly requires clamps and JBweld, IMHO.  Fitting the spring into the couplers is finicky. 

Stans instructions are pretty good but I think I have some extra pictures I took. 

My deflector has been trouble free for 5 years so don't stress.  I'll post pics asap. 

Thank you Paul,

Very kind of you.

Cheers

Outer hinge

IMG_20190822_174315-1190x1587.thumb.jpg.ac1ce7195e2c6270a969dee2d83cd29b.jpg

Inner hinge

IMG_20190822_174319-1190x1587.thumb.jpg.2f7f4f434eff8a098fa89c247364b4d0.jpg

Some views of the spring

IMG_20190822_174233-1190x1587.thumb.jpg.60d08886855030899718aba66e01d7e4.jpg

IMG_20190822_174421-1190x1587.thumb.jpg.5ad9d0f4796aa2d12a5561dfb8075b72.jpg

You can just make the rod of the spring thru the hinge fulcrum...Sorry it's so grimy... deflector has been on there from new....I have never dismantled the springy bit itself..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dlacey said:

You can just make the rod of the spring thru the hinge fulcrum...Sorry it's so grimy... deflector has been on there from new....I have never dismantled the springy bit itself..

Thank you this is also helpful. ?

I guess mine was not reassembled correctly at some point because it doesn't automatically pop up. If I want to engage the deflector I  manually raise it, then it stays up for the duration.  I removed the sunroof a half a dozen times in the first year of ownership fiddling with various problems, don't remember playing with the torsion spring. I do like the deflector and all its shiny bits. 

6 minutes ago, 7502 said:

I guess mine was not reassembled correctly at some point because it doesn't automatically pop up. If I want to engage the deflector I  manually raise it, then it stays up for the duration.  I removed the sunroof a half a dozen times in the first year of ownership fiddling with various problems, don't remember playing with the torsion spring. I do like the deflector and all its shiny bits. 

Was yours factory/dealer installed?

5 minutes ago, Driv3r said:

Was yours factory/dealer installed?

They were all dealer-installed, or installed later. They were not a factory option. The flip-up version of air deflector — as opposed to the shaded plexiglass version — was only briefly available through U.S. dealers. By 1974, when I was looking for a deflector for my 1970, only the plexiglass version was available. And that remained the case through 1976.

But there are enough of the pop-up versions in the U.S. to suggest they were, indeed, available through U.S. dealers, perhaps during the 1971 to 1973 time period. Others were brought over individually from Europe — particularly by servicemen — or swapped from Porsche’s and other cars that shared similar-width Golde sunroofs.

When I purchased my ‘73 tii in 2014, the sunroof was stuck closed, due to broken cables. When we “busted it open”, out popped a deflector. Very cool. Very lucky. ☺️

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

40 minutes ago, Conserv said:

But there are enough of the pop-up versions in the U.S. to suggest they were, indeed, available through U.S. dealers,

I bought this from my dealer in about 1976 and installed it myself. Has worked great, even in the rain. Nice clean design.

Eventually, after decades, the cast hinges and torsion springs broke, probably from overuse.

These were also used in some VWs and Porsches, but the "Porsche price" was too high for my taste.......So, when this reproduction came up I bought one knowing that it is a must have for the next restoration.

Remember to grease the cables and tracks when you have it apart.

• Like 2

I remember playing with the pieces like it was one of those wire puzzles that would come apart only if everything was aligned exactly right.  The assembly of this is much the same.  Once you figure it out it's not that complicated.  Only daunting to start.

First off, Stan's directions are a must.  They answer most of the questions.

In the picture below I have assembled the (2) units with the use of clamps to keep the spring in position. NOTE:  You are only assembling the spring and hinges into the track.  The deflector pieces are installed when you are re-assembling sunroof frame. 

DSC02414fx2.thumb.jpg.378114feb980a550fc934f05096221bd.jpg

Stan says...The center tab of the spring must be turned down into the recess of the track while you are assembling and turned up once assembly is complete. 

I recall that the hinges did not accept the spring easily.  The oblong hole in the hinge and the flattened end of the spring would not line up (easily) and needed some twisting to finally slide the spring into position.

Once you have assembled the 2 units with the clamps still in place AND YOU'RE HAPPY WITH THE SPRING ACTION OF THE HINGES then you can apply the JBWeld to secure the tab in the center of the spring into the slot of the track.  The JBWeld is only a plug to keep the spring (TAB) in position.  Once dried you can remove the clamps and start putting the track plates into the sunroof assembly.

The deflector pieces slide through the hinges quite easily and are only held by friction.DSC02418fx.jpg.9cf0ef0e13e048eacf76398202e3759a.jpg  There is little strain on the pieces so it's not a problem.  Fitting the track plates back into the roof with the deflector pieces in place is a bit challenging.  I found myself sliding the deflector pieces (out) so the track plates could be installed, then re-aligning the deflectors.  This took a bit of head scratching.

I glued on the nylon guides AFTER all was complete.

I hope some of this helps.  Good luck, and take your time.   Once you're done you'll be very happy.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Originally these deflectors came with four plastic pieces that were attached to the four "bumps" on the underside, leading edge of the sunroof panel.  You have to drill holes in the inner sunroof sheet metal to install them.  They bear against the plastic pieces on the deflector itself to prevent rattles.  AFAIK those bits are still available from Porsche.

Steve--thanks for the explanation of when they were available from BMW dealers; I don't remember ever seeing a 2002 with one until I came across one in a 76 sitting in a country junkyard east of Oklahoma City back in the early 90s.  And that's still the only one I've seen that actually came with the car.  Both my '02s have deflectors salvaged from Porsche 911's back in the early 80s, and they fit perfectly with no modifications.  

mike

PS--if yours doesn't pop up as you open the sunroof, a little lubrication will help.  I have to lubricate mine every year or so to keep 'em moving properly

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite