• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golde Sunroof Deflectors

Driv3r

4 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Sort of yes and no. I had to buy mufflers, a differential, a turbocharger, and various small parts from the dealer that serviced my Turbo in England for the PO in the late '80s. So, no.

Then it was allowed, then not allowed unless you registered your VIN with registration and driver's license for parts to that specific car.

So while I was probably the last guy to be able to purchase say, EVOIII brake ducts and other EVO parts for the E30 M3, not now through the local channels. Used up that last "special favor call" to BMWNA loooong ago.

Or "had a guy" at the local dealership or "had two guys" in England and Germany plus the Maximillian channel.

Before "the Internet" my Father was able to source (supposedly the last one worldwide at the time) a new one piece dash from Singapore through a "guy who knew a guy who searched the local dealership".

I hate say it, but relationships are everything in finding obscure parts. You want to help each other out in the community because you never know who will reproduce that sunroof deflector.......or inflatable windshield......

+1

Thanks, Ted.

I was literally “some punk kid”, 17 years old, and it was the early ‘70’s when I first experienced the BMW parts network, here in the States. Reading Mazda-BMW (Reading, Pennsylvania) was our first really local BMW dealer, and, as best I could tell, there were no parts in inventory — well, certainly nothing beyond points, condensers, and oil filters. You could order anything, but there was no certainty you would ever get it, whether U.S. or Euro spec. But then Dick Horrigan VW acquired the dealership from Reading Mazda-BMW and there were a few more parts, but Euro parts disappeared. In retrospect, I wonder if this change signaled the changeover in U.S. sole importer from Hoffman Motors to BMW NA: it was in 1974 or 1975, which coincides with change of importers.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

In regards to not having seen a line item for a deflector on the window sticker - I don't believe it would have been

itemized. The sunroof, yes. When we ordered the two cars with the sunroofs, they just showed up with the deflector installed. 

Funny story - After we picked up the 73 tii, dad decided he wanted the optional Mahle cast wheels, and sent me to the dealer next to the factory to purchase 5 of them.  Parts was closed, but a helpful employee said they would return after lunch. He sent me to lunch at the Spaten brewery nearby , writing a word on a slip of paper which he handed  me. Suggested I order that for lunch.

Funny guy - What I ordered was a "family platter" - wurst, kraut, potatoes, pig knuckles and beer - 3 liters, to be exact.  I was a growing 16 year old, and tried my hardest to polish off that thing, but after quite some time, I gave up and returned to the parts counter.

No cast wheels available. In the country. Which I though weird because we had seen them on cars produced the same day as ours. Dad was real impressed I came back to the hotel empty handed, after being gone for 3 hours.

He was even more impressed when I backed the tii into the Heidelberg Castle wall a couple of days later....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, otisdog said:

In regards to not having seen a line item for a deflector on the window sticker - I don't believe it would have been

itemized. The sunroof, yes. When we ordered the two cars with the sunroofs, they just showed up with the deflector installed. 

Agreed. The lack of a separate factory option offering or window sticker line item argues they were viewed, at that point, as simply part of the “manual sliding roof” option. But since U.S.-delivery cars seemed to have them only rarely, even during that 1971 to 1973 “sweetspot” your family experienced, which cars got them and which cars didn’t?

It might be significant that two of your family’s cars so-equipped were factory deliveries... 

I’m hoping some of our knowledgeable German members — e.g., Uli, Lars, Hen, etc — can comment on whether the pop-up deflectors were a common German-delivery item.  How about our other European and outside-the-U.S. members: how common are these pop-up deflectors where you are?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2019 at 12:53 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

I remember playing with the pieces like it was one of those wire puzzles that would come apart only if everything was aligned exactly right.  The assembly of this is much the same.  Once you figure it out it's not that complicated.  Only daunting to start.

First off, Stan's directions are a must.  They answer most of the questions.

In the picture below I have assembled the (2) units with the use of clamps to keep the spring in position. NOTE:  You are only assembling the spring and hinges into the track.  The deflector pieces are installed when you are re-assembling sunroof frame. 

DSC02414fx2.thumb.jpg.378114feb980a550fc934f05096221bd.jpg

Stan says...The center tab of the spring must be turned down into the recess of the track while you are assembling and turned up once assembly is complete. 

I recall that the hinges did not accept the spring easily.  The oblong hole in the hinge and the flattened end of the spring would not line up (easily) and needed some twisting to finally slide the spring into position.

Once you have assembled the 2 units with the clamps still in place AND YOU'RE HAPPY WITH THE SPRING ACTION OF THE HINGES then you can apply the JBWeld to secure the tab in the center of the spring into the slot of the track.  The JBWeld is only a plug to keep the spring (TAB) in position.  Once dried you can remove the clamps and start putting the track plates into the sunroof assembly.

The deflector pieces slide through the hinges quite easily and are only held by friction.DSC02418fx.jpg.9cf0ef0e13e048eacf76398202e3759a.jpg  There is little strain on the pieces so it's not a problem.  Fitting the track plates back into the roof with the deflector pieces in place is a bit challenging.  I found myself sliding the deflector pieces (out) so the track plates could be installed, then re-aligning the deflectors.  This took a bit of head scratching.

I glued on the nylon guides AFTER all was complete.

I hope some of this helps.  Good luck, and take your time.   Once you're done you'll be very happy.

Paul,  I'm having issues with my kit :(  First, the hinge pieces were too wide for the slots in the sunroof frame!  I sanded/filed/dremeled the frame until it was just wide enough for the hinges to fit in.  But then, the hinges don't rotate freely/smoothly in the frame.  I put some silicone grease on it which seemed to help, but when I attached the spring (and rotate it), the hinges won't fully fold out, they only go about 1/3 of the way...I can open them by hand, but it takes more effort than I think it should.  Also, it appears that the hinge is rotating out of the frame until it gets almost all the way open, and then it 'snaps' down into place.

I've attached photos of my installation, and a video of the opening issues I'm having.

Quick question, when you attach the springs to the hinges, do you have the hinges folded flat against the frame, or are they sticking up as they would be when the deflector is open?  I attached them with the hinges folded, and after rotating the spring, there doesn't seem to be a lot of force trying to open the hinges (although this might still be the issue I'm having with the hinges not operating smoothly).

Any suggestions from you or from anyone else whose successfully installed one of these would be greatly appreciated :)

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

I have an original deflector on my golde roof, it also 'sticks' at this partially open state....but if I am driving at any speed the wind opens it fully.

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

8 minutes ago, Steve76063 said:

Any suggestions from you or from anyone else whose successfully installed one of these would be greatly appreciated :)

First problem:  Stan may have made another production run of extruded hinges that are too wide. Mine didn't have this problem.

Second problem:  IIRC, I assembled the pieces with the hinges open and then twisted the torsion spring so the tab fit into the slot.  Not sure if I only twisted it one turn or more.  Once the JBWeld was cured I could press the hinges flat and they would bounce back with lots of force.

Your video makes it seem that there is not enough torsion spring action to flip the hinges up with force, OR there is still some friction of the hinge (edge) rubbing against the frame.  If you are certain that you've assembled the pieces properly, confirm that the hinges move freely within the frame, and twist the torsion spring another revolution before securing it in the slot.

Stan may have more input.  Good luck.

• Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

20 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

First problem:  Stan may have made another production run of extruded hinges that are too wide. Mine didn't have this problem.

Second problem:  IIRC, I assembled the pieces with the hinges open and then twisted the torsion spring so the tab fit into the slot.  Not sure if I only twisted it one turn or more.  Once the JBWeld was cured I could press the hinges flat and they would bounce back with lots of force.

Your video makes it seem that there is not enough torsion spring action to flip the hinges up with force, OR there is still some friction of the hinge (edge) rubbing against the frame.  If you are certain that you've assembled the pieces properly, confirm that the hinges move freely within the frame, and twist the torsion spring another revolution before securing it in the slot.

Stan may have more input.  Good luck.

Thanks Paul, I was wondering just how much torque I could put on the spring.  The first one I put together with the hinges 'extended', and got less than 1 twist on the hinge.  In my excitement and haste, I JBWelded the spring in place, only to find out that the hinges stick on this one too.  The one shown in the pictures/video have a toothpick jammed in to hold the spring temporarily.  This one I assembled with the hinges folded, and got about 1/2 twist on the spring.

My plan is to get some valve lapping compound, and with the springs removed, work the hinges with it until I feel that they're loose enough to try again,  And, thanks to you, I know that I can put more 'twist' on the springs.

Do you recall how 'loose' a fit the hinge sections were in the frame?  Right now, mine are a pretty tight fit.

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 8:01 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

My hinges are quite loose.  Wobbly even.  They stray from vertical as the orientation is dictated by the torsion spring.  

Success?

I removed the springs & hinges, and lapped the hinge & frame together with valve grinding compound. Put it all back together (hinges folded flat, spring ‘bump’ down, rotated 1/2 turn) and hinges were still a bit sticky. I applied some real grease had tried Silicone grease before, “red-sticky grease” this time.  The hinges will snap open now?. After installing a deflector panel, I noticed that the panel keeps the hinge aligned and in place, so perhaps I didn’t need to lap them together. 

anyway, I got all the parts installed, and it works perfectly ?.  I can cruise 75 with the sunroof fully open with open vent wings and I don’t have the buffeting I had before?

• Like 2

#792890.Smaller.jpg