• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And we cry when someone asks $40k for their nicely restored

resra

"Eat the rich.  They taste better."- Ima Zombie.

That fails the "for that amount of money, can I build one myself out of readily available parts-

and some casting and machining work?" test.

So I don't want it.

Yeah, that proves that America is Not Great Again.  $170,000 buys a LOT of reduced- price school lunches.

t

• Like 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

it's a 1500 cc 1955 motor...put that in an authentic 550 Spyder and the car goes for $5 million.  A 59 Carrera with an authentic  1600 cc 4 cam is $1.5M, the later Carrera 2 with a 2 liter will go for $500k.  Factory book labor for tuning the motor, setting the valves (bevel gear driven) is on the order of 40-50 man hours. There are 2 known competent mechanics for these motors in the US. The crank shaft is not machined in one piece, it is assembled in sections . A local part-time mechanic in the neighborhood had one of the original 550s with the motor apart in a box. traded it about 20 years ago for a couple of California cars. He hasn't slept well since that transaction.

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Sorry,folks.  The auction is over and although bid to $220k, it didn't meet reserve...

BTW, Isettas also used a similar built-up crankshaft with a roller rod bearing...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

John Wilhoit out in California uses a hotter up VW engine in a lot of his clients cars 150hp or so. Puts the original on the shelf for preservation of value and originality and uses the VW for practicalities sake. Not to mention more horsepower then the original. They push 175 horsepower in some bored and stroked versions. Trouble with Holy Grails is you usually can’t drive them. 

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Incredible work of engineering. Considering the time and effort put into designing and assembling these motors, Porsche probably never made money in its 550 spyders and 356 Carreras.  But, the racing success and prestige associated with this 4 cam motor, boosted sales for Porsche in the long run.

Neither the cars nor the motors were fully appreciated in the US until relatively recently. They were dirt cheap during the 70s. And the Americana Hot Rod crowd had nothing but contempt for Porsche and this 4 cam motor; "What's that, only a 4 cylinder with 95 cubic inches?"

One of my neighbors had the 2 liter 356 Carrera. He would always complain to me that when he passed his kids would probably sell his car as they don't appreciate it since they are into old Camaros. When he passed, they sold it for $180k, less than half its value.

His car had a dry sump for oil lubrication.