NYNick

Rear vent windows: what's the trick fix?

28 posts / 1404 viewsLast Reply

One of my favorite parts of these cars (Ok, I was spoiled by Porsches first) is the rear vent windows. Just like my old 912, these stinking things won't stay open. I've found myself even thinking about propping both of them open with an adjustable shower curtain rod or some such ridiculousness, across the back seat.

I've tried tightening them well with the hinge knob several times only to hear them slam shut, at speed. This is uncomfortable at best as reaching back to try to prop them open again is, well, contortion.

What's the trick fix?

... or you could use tacos

597b7aaf13408_024(1024x768).thumb.jpg.c03f367fc1adce19ab35bd18760e4cfb.jpg

There are a lot of threads on this topic.  I started the following one a few years ago:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

... or you could use tacos

There are a lot of threads on this topic.  I started the following one a few years ago:

Yeah, I admittedly started the thread before searching....cardinal sin. Mea culpa, mea culpa...

I found one tennis ball. Just to be different, I may run one tennis ball and one wine cork. That'll get 'em thinking! Thanks!

• Like 1

I used the vent window latches from an E-21.

Not original, but they hold the window open.

There is nothing worse than having a rear window slam shut at 70mph.

You wonder what just hit you.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, SaharaX2 said:

I used the vent window latches from an E-21.

Do you have photos of them installed?  They do have that nice stop-detent feature.  

I grabbed a set at the yard, but holding them up next to the ones in my car, it looked like they would need modification to work.  I've forgotten the details.  It seems like the mounting tab slotted holes would not line up.  (?)041.thumb.JPG.74e3287fcc80d3c589e0d01b2dc08b7e.JPG042.thumb.JPG.d0f18ef1268704ddf57acb47314a7d65.JPG045.thumb.JPG.5fc06ab5b169cdd4704bfd13e1665901.JPG

EDIT-- I did not mean to sound like I was scolding for not searching, just saying there's info there that's ripe for the picking.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

I've cut little circles of the mesh used for sanding sheet rock and put them between the washer and arm to provide more friction when the knob is tightened, the only drawback is you have to loosen the knob a little more to close them with out sanding down the plastic arm.

2 hours ago, jmr_1602 said:

I use cork toppers from old wine bottles to keep mine open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I happen to keep a wooden box of corks under my shop press with a towel over it.  If any delicate items such as a pinion gear decide to convert potential energy to kinetic energy, it gives them a soft place to land. 

IMG_2477.thumb.jpg.bd72a28fe4dd7cb019ba4d248155706e.jpg

I borrowed a couple for a test run.  Awesome idea!

IMG_2478.thumb.jpg.db79840e596c448643730fa56fdd1128.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

(edited)

I'm surprised the Master Tinker hasn't adapted the Dodge/Plymouth minivan cable-driven side window controls the the '02!  It has been done.

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Oh I love this idea!

my dog would definitely get in the car then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyTii said:

my dog would definitely get in the car then!

I did not have to coax Luna into the car.  She loved riding in the 2002.  I extended the back seat and added some foam, to make her more comfortable. 051.JPG

033.JPG

023.JPG

• Like 8

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I did not have to coax Luna into the car.  She loved riding in the 2002.  I extended the back seat and added some foam, to make her more comfortable. 051.JPG

033.JPG

023.JPG

What beautiful dog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1