• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Special tool needed to change out a valve stem?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a leak on one wheel around the base of the valve stem. Assuming I can buy a valve stem at the auto parts store, can I just pull out the old valve stem with a pair of pliers, soap up the new one and work it into place using pliers - no special tool needed?

Guest Anonymous

Inside the valve stem is a shrader valve, same valve thats used on AC systems. There is a specal tool to replace the shrader valve but its cheap. To change out the stem as a whole you must dismount the tire. I have NEVER been charged at any tire place for replacing a shrader valve.

Sam

Guest Anonymous

Josh,

Unless there has been a major leap in technology that I am not aware of, the only way to replace the stem is to break the bead of the tire and go in from the backside and pull the stem thru. The tool actually screws to the top of the stem and is used to pull the stem thru after you have inserted it thru the rim. If the tire has just been balanced, you may be able to break the bead and reach in to insert the valve thru the hole without moving the tire on the rim and not upsetting the balance.

Earl

74 2002Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

Guest Anonymous

Les Schwab...

Why fart around with it? The tire has to come off to have this happen, the Schwab guys will be happy to do it, and *may* or may not charge you for it depending on your buying history with them. I can't imagine it costing more that $15.

-----------

BigDog

'76 2002