msk340i

Newbie to 2002. Please advise!

18 posts / 543 viewsLast Reply

I'm a newbie here so please pardon my ignorance. I've always wanted to build a classic car into a street/track car (sacrilege I know) and I looked everywhere until I doing a pretty beat up 1974 2002. It has rust under the doors, around the edges of fenders, trunk and hood. The scary part is the rust on the street towers around the strut mounts. The engine runs OK I'm going to work on it. The carburetor needs a rebuild I'm sure. The brakes need a refresh. The interior will be stripped. I've never done a project this big before and I want to do most of the things myself. I need all the advice you guys can give me. The body rust to me is the hardest and most important issue to deal with. If you can give me advice I really appreciate it. If you can point me towards a helpful source I'll also appreciate it. Thanks 😊

First of all, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority--lotsa friendly folks on the FAQ, and even better, lots of really useful information especially for one who's new to 2002s.  

For your project rust is the biggest problem--things mechanical can be repaired pretty easily compared to properly repairing structural rust.  Serious rust around the front strut mounts is fairly rare; it's the rear spring and shock mount areas (inner fender wells inside the trunk), and the frame rails (under the rocker panels) that are much more common.  Rear subframe rust--in the subframe itself and subframe mount points are other things to watch out for.  There are numerous articles and discussions on this subject in the archives; research 'em.  Before you delve into the mechanical systems on your car, make sure that the rust you report isn't (1) beyond your own abilities or (2) beyond your pocketbook to pay someone else to repair.  If you're gonna take this car on a track, the body shell must be at least as sturdy as it was the day it left the factory, if not a bit stronger. 

Post some pictures of the rust areas and we'll be able to give you more specific guidance.

cheers

mike

Thank you so much for the reply. Yeah I need to get the body in top shape like you said. I attached all the pictures that I have now. I will update with pictures of the rusty areas.

Thanks again

IMG-20171218-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20160528-WA0025.jpeg

The last picture you posted--of the right rear suspension mounting point is downright scary.  I would not be driving this car until that is repaired--double that if the left side is just as bad.  You can buy a complete inner wheel arch new, or cut one from a parts car, or if you're a good welder,fabricate patches yourself.  But it must be repaired if you're planning to drive this car.  Do this, and any other structural rust repairs(inner rockers, subframes, etc)  before doing any mechanical work, as it may turn out you have a parts car...

mike

5 minutes ago, mike said:

it may turn out you have a parts car...

Hold off on buying any new parts until you learn a bit more.

It is not looking promising, based on your photos.

Sorry.

Tom

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mike said:

The last picture you posted--of the right rear suspension mounting point is downright scary.  I would not be driving this car until that is repaired--double that if the left side is just as bad.  You can buy a complete inner wheel arch new, or cut one from a parts car, or if you're a good welder,fabricate patches yourself.  But it must be repaired if you're planning to drive this car.  Do this, and any other structural rust repairs(inner rockers, subframes, etc)  before doing any mechanical work, as it may turn out you have a parts car...

mike

Yeah Mike I think I understated the rust issue. Yes the car is not drivable at the moment. I was thinking of removing the rust and patching it but I also like the idea of getting the whole inner wheel arch and welding it on, where can I find that? The subframe does have some rust but I think it can be repaired. I'll post pictures when I go to the car next weekend.

30 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Hold off on buying any new parts until you learn a bit more.

It is not looking promising, based on your photos.

Sorry.

Tom

Oh! Not a good project for a beginner like me ☹️

• Like 1

I'd also suggest getting a different car to start with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One skill that I never acquired was welding.  If it was me, first I'd take an automotive welding course to learn the art and techniques required to do a proper job of restoration.  When I see photos of restoration projects it looks very rewarding to restore what was once a rusty wreck.

...AND find a better body to restore.  They are out there.  Good luck.

Some suppliers of body parts:

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/BMW

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=2583-USA---114-BMW-2002tii&mg=41 (Dealership)

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserie-blechteile/bmw-1502-2002-turbo.html

Well, this is a bit depressing. Anyone interested in buying? 😅

• Haha 1

Sorry.  Better to be depressed now than later when you have a bunch of time and money invested, and no end in sight.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, msk340i said:

Anyone interested in buying?

less depressing than sitting on hundreds of dollars in repair panels, then realizing the severity of the situation.

parts prices might make it worth your while to sell some of them off.

in the for sale section on this site it is preferred that you list the asking price, as opposed to asking for offers.

eBay auctions are another option.

clean the parts up and post a lot of photos.

the parts may be useful to you though, if you do find a better one to work on.

the rust you see is the tip of the iceberg, as they say.

I've seen enough already to judge the rest of the car.

I've also seen heroic efforts put into bringing cars back and fear that the repairs are temporary at best.

Cutting out rust holes to weld little patches to thin rusted metal will not last long.

I just hope those cars never get wet, or the (next) owner is bound to be disappointed.

Painting is so expensive to do right that future blistering would suck.

I love welding, but would not attempt to restore this car.

• Like 2