Sahara

Wibbly wobbly wind wings

13 posts / 348 viewsLast Reply

My driver side wind wing (smoker window, etc.) is loose when cranked open, rattles a bit, nothing terrible but is there a way to tighten it down without having to pull off the door card? 

Just now, '76mintgrün'02 said:

no

Right. Thanks.  :)

You're welcome.

Hopefully I am wrong (again), but I could not figure out how to take the play out of mine, with the mechanism in hand.

Maybe this thread will turn up some tricks.

Just now, '76mintgrün'02 said:

You're welcome.

Hopefully I am wrong (again), but I could not figure out how to take the play out of mine, with the mechanism in hand.

Maybe this thread will turn up some tricks.

That's weird. The passenger side one is rock solid, so you'd imagine there would be a way to tighten them down. 

The mechanism relies on the crimped in  plate at the bottom holding the gear and worm in mesh. This is staked in place and not adjustable but you could try re-staking that to take up some slack. If your mechanism is loose, this could be a sign that something else has collapsed internally allowing the worm and gear to separate slightly.  The only option might be to replace it. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, Sahara said:

That's weird. The passenger side one is rock solid, so you'd imagine there would be a way to tighten them down. 

It's not that  weird. Anything on the drivers-side is more likely to see more use, thus more wear. 

A short-armed, friend-less, and tragically single previous owner probably fiddled with his wing mirror regularly, and the passenger side never saw the same amount of fiddlin'. 

Mine are both surprisingly tight... 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

This is an ill omen for us all...  Most people say,"I couldn't figure out this mechanical thing."  I'm thinking, yeah, sure, whatever; bring it over.  Tom says,"I couldn't figure out this mechanical thing."  That's a whole different problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The master-tinkerer has been rendered tinkerless!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

The master-tinkerer has been rendered tinkerless!

Yeah, but stick Tom alone in a room for a weekend with a couple of the vent wings and he’d devise some ratcheting mechanism that allows you to adjust the tightness of the vent as it wears. And.... you’d be able to make the adjustment without removing the door card... 😉

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

...A short-armed, friend-less, and tragically single previous owner probably fiddled with his wing mirror regularly, and the passenger side never saw the same amount of fiddlin'. 

LMAO.

Either you are friggin’ Columbo, or.... you’re reading a lot of personal experience into this analysis... 😯😋😉

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 2

You guys are funny... although I couldn't resist digging out the one I removed, to take another look at it.

It was the passenger side on my car that has extra wibble.  There is also an issue with the way the wing window closes.  As you can see, it is tipped too far back at the top and needs to be nudged into place while turning the knob to get it to close without snagging on the seal.  The markings on the glass of this little window are different than on the other side, so something mysterious happened in past, but unfortunately, I am no Columbo.

002.thumb.JPG.ae0c30a9a9a02eecdfae53fba2fa746d.JPG

I do not know how to correct the alignment issue.  I do suspect it may have to do with why the mechanism has developed slop though, with someone over tightening to try and get it closed.

Looking at the top hinge/pivots, both sides look about the same to me. 

003.thumb.JPG.39c3095f1e7ec385a273e77ebce6ef37.JPG004.thumb.JPG.f7392f6ffa60ed7e98698be765d6acfe.JPG

I did replace the original one with a used unit, but it is similarly floppy.  The one I took out was missing the little cap on the bottom.  Or at least it was loose... but it is missing now.  I think it is here somewhere.

006.thumb.JPG.19b3dead222ab2eae6383252fc426985.JPG

The gears are nice and tight, so that's not the source of the wobble.  I suspect it is due to the splayed out slot that the glass attaches to.  That metal is not very strong..

005.thumb.JPG.f6e75416586484eac677a92296b3ffff.JPG007.thumb.JPG.2b0894f27d087757784151d202ccbe88.JPG

On this one it looks like the threads are stripped, inside the pot-metal piece. 

008.thumb.JPG.b27fdd1654ce81b1ccc3ee84b0ca2173.JPG

The next time I am inside the door, I may try to make some improvements; but it does not bother me that much.  The alignment issue is a bigger problem.

Hopefully these photos shed light on the mystery of what's hiding behind the door panel.

TOm

• Like 1

Here is a nice new one for comparison.  (Photo taken from Roger's Tii site).  

IMG_1833__39491.1436069280.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

If you do remove the door card, remember that there is a hole in the back of the wing window knob, to allow you to push the plastic disc out from behind.  Something like an Allen wrench works pretty well.  If you look very closely at the front rim on the knob, there will be a tiny dimple aligned with that hole on the back.

• Like 1