gregp553

Oil Leak - Head Gasket or ??

18 posts / 523 viewsLast Reply

On 8/14/2019 at 10:47 PM, aventari said:

I'm pretty sure at least one of the rear head bolts shafts has oil in it from the rocker shafts. The shafts have a little passage in the notches that align with the head bolts, and I'm assuming oil goes through that hole since the shafts have oil in them.

Whups, yes-  this.

I've had oil leak out from under the head of the bolt before, too,

and that means it could also leak where the bolt passes thru the gasket.

I have learned to live with oil leaks.  I swear I have never owned a car that didn't leak.  Some much worse than others, but none the less all had leaks.  I am kinda gun shy when it comes to getting a new motor, as my expectations is that there isn't leaks.. and there will be... and I will get mad and resentful..... and that isn't nice, so no new motor for me until I learn to behave. 

This, too.

If you're not losing much, DO try to find out where, but the fix may not be worth the effort

AND you do run the risk of making nice new fresh leaks.

t

in my experience...

19 hours ago, TobyB said:

Whups, yes-  this.

I've had oil leak out from under the head of the bolt before, too,

and that means it could also leak where the bolt passes thru the gasket.

This, too.

If you're not losing much, DO try to find out where, but the fix may not be worth the effort

AND you do run the risk of making nice new fresh leaks.

t

in my experience...

Yup. I drove the Dream Cruise, the car drove like a dream for 2-3 hours straight of 50 mph, 25 and traffic jam crawl. Not a hiccup. Got home and saw the little weep on the block like above. Funny thing is, when I drove extensively like this the head weeped but didn't drip when I parked it. When I drive short bursts to test for the leak it drips. Guess I'll live with it for now and drive longer. Win-win. Thanks for all the input. I'll update this someday if I ever go into the engine.

4 hours ago, gregp553 said:

Guess I'll live with it for now and drive longer. Win-win. Thanks for all the input. I'll update this someday if I ever go into the engine.

Not only that...a film of oil will coat the bottom of your car.  Not such a bad thing.  I attribute a life-long oil leak to the (near) rust-free condition of the bottom of my car, although it has lived in the north for its entire life.

• Like 1