Vicleonardo1

alternator belt blew up. Replacement confusion

7 posts / 264 viewsLast Reply

Title says it. I am concerned because it was a fairly fresh belt and it gave out on me. Trying to mine here and the interworld and just cant seem to find a consistent answer on what belt size. Blunt offers several and I am not sure which one fits. 

C.D. on one thread highly recommended a 9.5 X 875 mm size awhile ago, but I cannot seem to find one that width (AKA 3/8' ) Web sites are recommending several variations as well. Most belts are 10mm? Will that work? 

So which size do I need to ask for when I go request one a the Auto Parts store (so I can get home).? I have a 75 with no smog pump. 

Also:  I have a sanden clone compressor with a hobiedave bracket: Looks like that belt has escaped. Several sizes on this website for that one: I cannot remember which is the size to start with.  

Thanks for your help. No worries on a stat reply,  but If I don't get an answer soon I will have to get a ride from wifey and endure her scorn and verbiage all the way home...

O.5 mm is very small difference.

For 2002s US width is 13/32, or .41" or 10 mm. Should fit but length varies from 31 5/8" to 34 5/8" depending on air compressor.

The parts store can narrow it down to your year and model. They are cheap, so buy a backup in case you throw another belt.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

O.5 mm is very small difference.

For 2002s US width is 13/32, or .41" or 10 mm. Should fit but length varies from 31 5/8" to 34 5/8" depending on air compressor.

The parts store can narrow it down to your year and model. They are cheap, so buy a backup in case you throw another belt.

Thank you!  I wasn't sure if the difference was all that critical, but C.D. seemed pretty adamant that 9.5 mm was the way to go. 

I have to find a store with a good return policy and buy several.  It is a 75 but not the original motor and I have no idea what year the motor is. 

If it's an m10 2 litre, I am pretty sure they are all similar except if you have an air pump as well as the alternator and fan. Might be differences if you have a tie.

(edited)

Keep in mind that there are different diameters crankshaft pulleys.  I changed from a small to a large when I put in the OD transmission because the engine turns slower and wanted to not have the water pump turn slower.  So there is more than one belt size or the adjuster on the alternator bracket will run out adjustment.

When you find the right size, buy a spare and avoid the excitement next time it goes.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

Yahoo!! Trial and error avoided!!!

I am very very lucky! I found a small piece of the belt on the manifold. The only writing on it said 10 X 875.......

Getting a couple of belts and hoping this is not a chronic issue.. 

Thank you ! 

Vic 

• Like 1

One thing I learned the hard way--don't buy a belt that's too narrow--it'll ride low inside the pulley sheaves, overheat, stretch and break at a very young age (toldya I learned the hard way).  IIRC the 10mm wide belt will allow it to ride just below the top of the pulley sheaves, where it should be.

mike

• Like 1