MattL

GTI MKII Recaro Install - Anybody trim the hinge covers?

7 posts / 200 viewsLast Reply

I'm about to install the MKII GTI Recaros I picked up a few months ago, using a set of the eBay adapter plates. They were power seats, but I've removed the power base to expose the six-hole mounting setup. Easy peasy. The problem, though, is that the long plastic hinge covers on the seats now interfere with the adapter brackets. Has anybody here tried to trim the hinge covers to accommodate the brackets? 

Alternatively, I could stalk eBay for some used hinge covers from manual seats. Is there a wide range of part interchangeability between similar Recaro seat models? In other words, could I use covers from a pair of manual Trophies or E21 seats on my (what I believe to be) "Helios" seats? 

Yes similar issue. Got my seats from a MKII GLI with power beses.

I did get a set of the plastic covers from a VW vendor a couple of years ago. It took me awhile because I believe they are becoming rare. IF I get home today, I will try and get the vendor and part numbers for you. 

You could also contact Dave at Aardvarc racing. He is pretty knowledgeable about Recaro's and the hinge covers. He may have some available. 

Also, I didn't answer your question, I was only going to trim the covers if I couldn't find any shorter replacements. I wasn't sure I would be able to make them look decent if I took the dremel to them. 

Thanks, Vic: I appreciate the assist. And yeah, that’s my concern exactly!

It seems like that vw supplier and all the others I’ve found only have some of the covers available, and generally not the driver side ones. That’s a good idea to contact Dave: I’ll do that. Thanks again, Vic. 

Yes you are correct!

I remember I had to do a lot of searching. If I remember correctly,   I believe I got 3 pieces from MK1 Autohaus and the driver side cover with the adjustment knob hole from a vendor on Ebay. (Greece?)

You may have to mine the VW boards and see if you can pick up some used ones from there. (After doing that for some time it makes me really appreciate how awesome this FAQ site is). You just have to look closely at the pieces because it is a bit hard to remove the covers without mucking them up. I also think I got the plastic pegs that hold them on from someplace like ECS tuning....but I am not sure about that.