Motorrod

Floor pan replacement

9 posts / 419 viewsLast Reply

Hello all,

I'm restoring a 73 and am currently working on replacing the front floor pans.  I have completed work on the inner fender and A pillar supports and the inner sill.  My current dilemma is trying to come up with way to fit the replacement pan (W & N) to mark the existing floor to cut so I don't have 1/4 or 1/2" gaps to weld up.  I'm planning to butt weld the perimeter if I can get it to fit.  I'm trying to not bugger it up and make my job harder.  Any suggestions of measuring or making a pattern are appreciated.  As it stands now, I have the floor cut out and the frame rail cleaned up.  I can't get the pan in low enough to measure against without cutting more floor out.  I'm afraid of cutting too much that I can't uncut!

Thanks

You Can use some poster board or in my case rosin paper to create a template of the hole. Mark features you want to line up. Trace that pattern on the patch panel and cut it 1/2” wider in all directions. That should allow you to “seat” the patch and scribe it from below. As you’ve already eluded to, sneak up on the final dimension. It’s a lot harder to make something bigger.

• Like 2

The W&N pieces are not an exact fit, you will find they line up in one spot, but not another.  Pretty sure I test-fit mine at least twenty times and came out with a different result every time.

Trim it the best you can and you might need a hammer to bend some of the pieces to match up, I found the tunnel area to be the most difficult, presumably because the W&N piece is for auto and manuals, and they have different size tunnels.

A copper backing plate help immensely to fill in large gaps.

here's my before/after pics:

(edited)

I found that trying to butt weld would be too, well trying. and would be relatively weak compared to a lap. I used a lap  and it seems to have come out ok. You need a good deal of persuasion with the W&N pieces as mentioned above as the  the reinforcement stamping area just does not line up. 

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

(edited)

Like stated above,the W&N panel is good but not perfect, I had to bend the side at the transmission tunnel a bit more for it to match.

The swage lines in front of the seat mounts didn't line up exactly but you shoudl be able to get them close enough with a hammer and dolly. I also but welded the panel.

46679231495_e83aa82546_b.jpg

32658264747_9e90ae19c2_b.jpg

33723598158_8b997c5227_b.jpg

47547716882_5696c16205_b.jpg

33723597588_a67dacfe62_b.jpg

32658264077_79bcc3778d_b.jpg

33723597268_e6b0d8c5be_b.jpg

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 5

Thanks to everyone who contributed.  I can see I have some fitting to do.  Picked up some heavy Bristol board stock from the local craft store, tape from the dollar store and a couple sharpies.  I'm going to make the paper template from the W&N floor panel and cut the template to fit down in the floor, then once I'm satisfied, I'll start on the metal cutting with 1/2" overlap so I don't short myself.  I've had to fill a few gaps on other panels and that's no fun.

Once I get it decent looking and buttoned up, I'll post a photo.

Despite being retired, time seems to be rushing by little getting done.

Thanks again for the great forum.

Rod

OK, so I'm a cheap bastard and a little weird, so right after new years day at work I go around and grab all the used desk blotter sized calendars just for the cardboard backing which IMHO is perfect for making patterns, see I told you I was cheap😎

• Like 1

That's a good idea.  I may actually have a couple of those stuffed away somewhere.  The paper I bought isn't as heavy as I hoped.  

Thanks