Sahara

Starting without a choke: tips?

8 posts / 302 viewsLast Reply

Had to disable my choke while waiting on an evaluation of what went wrong with the mechanism and possibly new parts. What’s the preferred procedure for cold starting sans choke. I know it’s going to be harder on the battery and starter but are there any tips and tricks to minimize cranking time? 

have an assistant squirt a little gas from a spray bottle directly in to the carb ( be careful)

Just pump the gas pedal a couple times and start cranking

Pump the gas pedal to operate the accelerator pumps... A determined push all way to the floor... Then release the throttle & start normally.. Be prepared to use the throttle to keep it running first few moments. If its freezing outside you likely would need a squirt of fuel up the inlet to get it to fire. 

14 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Pump the gas pedal to operate the accelerator pumps... A determined push all way to the floor... Then release the throttle & start normally.. Be prepared to use the throttle to keep it running first few moments. If its freezing outside you likely would need a squirt of fuel up the inlet to get it to fire. 

Would starting fluid work in place of fuel? I've got that on hand from working on an old lawnmower. 

2 hours ago, dlacey said:

+1, unless you are living in Antarctica.

I drive mine year round without a choke. And even here in northern CA it gets around 30 degrees in the winter. Have dual 45 Weber side drafts, with an electric fuel pump. I let the pump run a few seconds, pump the gas  2 or 3 times, and it always starts. Takes less than 10 seconds for the idle to stabilize.

• Like 1