hdaraee

HLEP -- Looking for Warmup Regulator for Tii

29 posts / 986 viewsLast Reply

(edited)
19 minutes ago, hdaraee said:

Thank you for all of your responses.  They are much appreciated.  as a prologue, I called all of the names folks gave me, along with some of the other usual suspects like Top End Performance, Korman even Coupe Kings.  Other than Steve at Top End, I never heard back from Koram or Coupe Kings, even to say, "sorry, can't help you."  The folks over-seas in England and Germany responded promptly but could not help; they were out of them (new & reconditions).  Maximillian Imports claims they can rebuild them with all new internal parts for around $600, with a 4-5 day turn around.  Wes Ingram can rebuild it, but said he was 6-months out.  I called Precision Auto and spoke to Dave.  He indicated that he can rebuild mine for around $300-$400 but it would take 2-3 weeks to get it back.  Dave suggested I call JF Pro for whom he'd built 4-5 of them a year or two ago.  JF Pro's answering machine is full so I sent them an email today.  All-in-all, I'd go with Wes since he is the proven deal, but I don't have 6-months to wait.  I think my "Plan B" is to try Dave at Precision.  I got a good hit from him and folks think very highly of him on this board.  In any event, I am very grateful for all of your responses.  I'll post a final follow-up once the car is back on the road.  Oh, and sorry for misspelling "Help"-- I blame fat fingers.  

Just to be clear, Dave Redszus at Precision Auto Research is also the real deal when it comes to Kugelfischers.... 😉

http://www.precisionautoresearch.com/general info/WhoWeAre/PAR3.htm

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1 minute ago, Conserv said:

Just to be clear, Dave Redszus at Precision Automotive Research is also the real deal when it comes to Kugelfischers.... 😉

Regards,

Steve

Indeed, a great guy (there are actually 2 them, father and son).  During the tuning process and while touching the verboten screw, he spend over an hour on the phone to make sure everything was working correctly.

22 hours ago, hdaraee said:

Anyone know where I can find one or have one rebuilt

What's the story on your existing WUR? I have found that sometimes a thorough cleaning can help revive a failing unit, or determine that the wax motor element is past its lifespan.

I'm curious about "rebuilding" a WUR if the wax motor is dead and they are NLA.  There can't be many cores out there to use for parts.

11 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

What's the story on your existing WUR? I have found that sometimes a thorough cleaning can help revive a failing unit, or determine that the wax motor element is past its lifespan.

I'm curious about "rebuilding" a WUR if the wax motor is dead and they are NLA.  There can't be many cores out there to use for parts.

I'm curious about this as well.  Should I rebuild the spare I have should they no longer be able to rebuild them?

BTW, what is your cleaning process?  

40 minutes ago, tomphot said:

BTW, what is your cleaning process?  

Aggressive pumping of water/detergent through water passage.

Disassembly of the the air passage components and thorough cleaning.  You should use a special tool to remove the top of the WUR. It can be done without, but the tool is the way to go.

There isn't much more you can do, other than adjust the the allen key bolt to set the piston for maximum throw.

BTW, the air passage components can only be assembled one way with the orientations already established, so you can't screw up re-assembly.

Rebuilders will also replace the rubber seal at the bottom of the air passage that seals it from the water passage.

• Like 2

Swiss 2002Tii was nice enough to take a ton of measurements and pictures from a WUR for me - my plan is to draw up a 3D model so a replacement housing could be fabricated. If anyone has a housing or WUR parts whose condition makes them unusable for rebuilding, I'd be interested in them to dissect to get the inner dimensions from.

1 hour ago, BarrettN said:

so a replacement housing could be fabricated

My experience is that the housing is the least problematic component. IMHO  @Swiss 2002Tiihas/had a severely corroded unit, but most are intact, I believe.  The real problems lie in the wax motor element and the air cutoff piston assembly. Just a forewarning so that you don't go to a lot of trouble.

I have no problem being corrected if I'm wrong.  More comments please.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

My experience is that the housing is the least problematic component. IMHO  @Swiss 2002Tiihas/had a severely corroded unit, but most are intact, I believe.  The real problems lie in the wax motor element and the air cutoff piston assembly. Just a forewarning so that you don't go to a lot of trouble.

I have no problem being corrected if I'm wrong.  More comments please.

This is my understanding as well.  The key to the whole thing is getting the piston to cut the air flow off when the engine temperature is correct.  The wax motor element needs to move at the right moment - voodoo science to my simple mind. 

Good to know that the housing isn't the most common failure, I'd assumed that corrosion was the WURs biggest enemy, evidently not. The wax element, I can see where that could be voodoo, you'd need to have a wax with the same coefficient of heat and expansion to rebuild one of those - and where the heck are you going to find that information?

• Like 1

H&R fuel injection in Bohemia NY. Fast turnaround and qualified.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HENRYNBMW said:

H&R fuel injection in Bohemia NY. Fast turnaround and qualified.

Have you used them to rebuild a Warmup regulator?  Thanks for the tip.

3 hours ago, BarrettN said:

The wax element, I can see where that could be voodoo, you'd need to have a wax with the same coefficient of heat and expansion to rebuild one of those - and where the heck are you going to find that information?

Not voodoo, Research! :)

..and measurement.

I have used H&R for both pump and wur. They are an authorized Bosch pump rebuilder,primarily for diesels. I was there in the Eighties and they are still in business. They rebuilt my pump about 5 years ago.