Healey3000

Distorted windshield gasket - useable or replace?

6 posts / 211 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

The good news: the windshield roped in on the first attempt (with lockstrip pre-installed)

The bad news: while pressing down on the gasket to seat it, using the same technique I did on the rear, the glass cracked.

I had to leave the assembly in place due to travel, and three weeks later, upon removing the unit, I see something in the gasket that is concerning.  The rubber groove that is supposed to seat over the pinch weld is splayed open along the bottom corners.  Elsewhere, it is tight as before.  Question - can I reuse the gasket or will this distortion prevent it from snugging the glass into the corners?

I had noticed that the glass had some edge damage so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that it cracked.  In addition, examination of the glass shows no manufacturer's logo or markings of any kind so I'm assuming it is a poor (cheaper) quality glass.  All other glass on the car appears original.  Blunt and WN are probably the best options for a new one, correct?  What is your opinion regarding tint, get the one with the green band along the top or not?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

Pictures?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I should have taken some but in the heat of the moment, didn't.  It's now back on the car as I was attempting to understand centering of the glass.

How does one know whether the glass needs to be moved one way or the other?  That's proving to be the tricky part for me as it isn't obvious which way I should nudge it.

It'll self- position over time- 

the rubber gets soft when the sun hits it,

the aperature moves around as you go over bumps,

and all that air pressure from your autobahn- like speeds pushes it in.

Once the lips are locked over the glass and the body, you're done- the glass will find its happy place.

t

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TobyB said:

It'll self- position over time- 

the rubber gets soft when the sun hits it,

the aperature moves around as you go over bumps,

and all that air pressure from your autobahn- like speeds pushes it in.

Once the lips are locked over the glass and the body, you're done- the glass will find its happy place.

t

Thanks Toby, that makes me feel much more comfortable about this.  Now, does anyone know a good local source of glass (SF Bay Area)?  Are the likes of Safelite any good for this?  I may just have a mobile outfit provide and install the glass but am leery about bad glass.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, Healey3000 said:

Blunt and WN are probably the best options for a new one, correct?  What is your opinion regarding tint, get the one with the green band along the top or not?

I'd try my local auto glass installers.   They'll look up the part# available from the regular suppliers, Pilkington, PPG, etc.

You could also check your local BMW dealer.  Their prices are higher, but the glass is branded BMW.