2mAn

1976 Chamonix, 5-Speed, Recaros, BBS

26 posts / 1064 viewsLast Reply

From just those few pictures appears to be quite a bit of rust. The paint job could be a little suspect also with the runs and pealing.

I think its cool and very nice that your trying to help someone out, but I bet its not worth nowhere near what the  owner thinks.

Hopefully it wont be an exercise in frustration.  Good luck with it.  

(edited)

“Quite a bit of rust” is probably an exaggeration considering it’s a California car and the extent of what “quite a bit of rust” means on a 2002... it’s not rust free and the spots under the windshield definitely show some, but I don’t recall seeing any in the fenders or rockers which would be the areas that would really scare me...

anyways, BaT declined the car so unless someone here wants to take a look at it it looks like it will just be sitting still 

Edited by 2mAn

(edited)
On 8/5/2019 at 11:46 PM, Seth Horwitz said:

By saying “he’s good,” I was saying that if someone needs air conditioning, they’re unlikely to look at a nonfunctional compressor and have a problem with that. The evaporater is there, which is the hardest thing to retrofit with a whole new console. (It’s not hard, but requires you to find one [the hardest part], mount it, and drill into the firewall. If the original stuff is all there, with the other parts inside the engine bay broken, it’s easier to source and replace those parts with newer, upgraded, equipment. 

Ray covered most of this, but I’ll add:

I.  Frigiking (introduced ca. 1968, produced until the mid-1970’s)

II.  MARK IV (rare and short-lived “parcel-shelf” and glove compartment unit produced ca. 1968-69)

III.  Behr (introduced ca. 1972, produced until the late 1970’s)

IV.  Clardy (introduced 1975, produced until ca. 1990)

V.  I.C.E. AIR (introduced ca. 1990’s, modern replica of the Clardy, produced by a guy who — surprise, surprise — installed Clardy’s in the 1970’s)

Everything A/C is aftermarket, installed by dealers or later.  Behr, of course, produced the ‘02’s radiator, heater, heater valves, etc., and had a close relationship to BMW. Thus, the Behr units received BMW part numbers and were available through the BMW parts network. This gave the Behr a big upper hand during the 1972-76 era, despite crazy pricing for their units installed — anywhere from $650 to $900 installed, depending on your dealer, at a time when the far superior and truly factory-installed A/C for a big domestic car (e.g., Chevy Caprice) was a $350 option.

No such thing as too much A/C discussion! 👍

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)
On 8/5/2019 at 11:46 PM, Seth Horwitz said:

Wasnt Clardy a future duplication of the older Frigiking? I believe the engineers started a new company, or something. Either way, I think the Clardy was an aftermarket unit, a few years later, whereas the other two were available, installed, when the car got to you at your dealer. 

Right story, Seth; wrong names! 😉

I.C.E. AIR was a future duplication of the older Clardy, started by a guy who installed Clardy’s in the 1970’s.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

5 hours ago, 2mAn said:

anyways, BaT declined the car so unless someone here wants to take a look at it it looks like it will just be sitting still 

How times have changed...…..have they forgotten how they started & named their auction business. Maybe they should change their name to "Bring Lotsa Cash".

I guess if it was a tii that would be ok.

31 minutes ago, 02Les said:

How times have changed...…..have they forgotten how they started & named their auction business. Maybe they should change their name to "Bring Lotsa Cash".

I guess if it was a tii that would be ok.

Yup, they have definitely sold out...

Oh well. Hopefully someone is interested in this here on the FAQ

Simon - You definitely get the good neighbor award for trying to help the owner out but with so little known about the condition of the car and what the owner will want to receive for it, I suspect interest will be limited.

Peter 

I hear ya Peter, I will talk to him a little more about price. It was my first time finally meeting him and I think I caught him off guard a bit. He also has a manual E24 633 that he said he would sell for around $2500! I didnt get a chance to see that one up close yet

• Like 1