• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Idea's or help

rcf925

Well, I'm glad I didn't start motor, Cir-clip and washer were on the relief tube, But no guts, Missing spring, Piston and guide tube. Would factory ship without these?  At least I know what the hell was wrong now. I didn't catch it with pan off before I assembled and my builder must of not looked

If the oil pressure relief piston is not installed you have a direct leak on the INTAKE side of the oil pump and it is sucking air through the empty relief valve housing instead of pulling oil up the pick-up tube.  When it is working correctly and the pressure relief valve opens it dumps the excess oil back into the intake side of the oil pump,  when the valve is closed that passage is blocked and the pump pulls oil through the pickup.

The lack of the tube coming out of the bottom of the oil pump housing makes me very suspicious that the piston, spring and tube fell out when the pump was upside down and he just missed it.   

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

as long as the LONG part of the tube is sticking out the bottom of the oil pump housing you have it installed correctly.  Yes you should be able to push the tube up about 1/4" before you start pushing on the spring. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Just a follow up, After putting relief valve in and pan, Got oil pressure after about 10 seconds of turning over. Just a note for anybody trying to remove pan that has IE sway bar up front, You can just barely get it off after jacking motor up off the motor mounts

M10 inexperienced shops think these are simple engines.

The S14 I bought fresh build had the orings left out of the lower chain tensioner shoe bore.  New shoes are not supplied with orings, they didn't know what they were working on!  Lots of work to install 2 - $1 orings.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, jimk said:

M10 inexperienced shops think these are simple engines.

The S14 I bought fresh build had the orings left out of the lower chain tensioner shoe bore.  New shoes are not supplied with orings, they didn't know what they were working on!  Lots of work to install 2 - $1 orings.

These are the things that make me want to go to Midnight Motorsports, or do it myself. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 8/5/2019 at 5:55 PM, dlacey said:

If he fitted/removed the pump he would have had the relief valve in his hand, it pops out under spring pressure until the pump is secured in-place.

The 2 I have on the bench, the valve plug doesn't fall out the top.  The plug goes in from the bottom and seats against a shoulder in the pump.  When did this change so the plug seats against the block if the block holds it in?

Also the pumps in hand have valve outlet nozzle held in with the integral head to the nozzle and are threaded into the pump with the valve plug and spring above.

When did the conversion to a nozzle held in by circlip happen?  The S14 pump has the circlip design.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Ya these M10's are older and a lot of builders have never seen one, And part of my problem is I got this whole project in pieces that have been sitting around for 20 years so I've been trying to figure out everything as I go. I'm pretty experienced with Porsche, Alfa Romeo,VW, Ford, Chevy etc. and newer BMW, Have done numerous builds with all of those but the last time I worked on the M10 I was in High School and it was my brothers 68. Oh well it only took me about an hour to R&R pan so it coulda been worse and I'm glad I didn't destroy anything

• Like 1