• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 VIN / Engine number check

B-rad

Hi Brian's trust,

Long time admirer of the 2002s, and finally might be getting one. One has become available locally which isn't in too too bad order given the age and its hard life and not a bad price considering. So just trying to figure our what size engine and potential life it has had. I've read through most of the discussions, but might have missed a few which gives the answers, so easier to ask:

The Fuhrgest Nr. is 1679628 on the VIN plate, and does match with the engine number besides the + symbols at start and end on the block (reproduction?). I suppose they could have remade the VIN plate also? There is also a number 2552 upside down to this engine number closest to the transmission side. I think I have seen someone elses image here somewhere of this number being the engine size - 2.0

It has a 121 head, and although it's white now I could see a tiny reminiscence of red in the engine bay. It is from the US (Colarado maybe) and a roundy from maybe 1970.

Any help is good help if possible.

Many thanks.

20190803_123901.jpg

Edited by B-rad

VIN 1679628 is a U.S.-spec 1971 model 2002, probably manufactured in January 1971.

Send an email to BMW Group Archives and request their data on the car. Their email address is info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com. They will confirm the manufacturing date, the date the car was legally transferred to Hoffman Motors Corp (the U.S. importer of that era), the market (U.S.A.), the model (2002), the original exterior color, and the original paint code. There is no charge and you will generally receive a reply within two business days.

The 2002 has a 2-liter engine. 2552 is the Production Code Number for a U.S.-spec 2002 of a particular era. The car you’re looking at is a pre-Modell 71, indicating simply that it was manufactured before a “facelift” referred to as the Modell 71, which occurred in April 1971. This mid-year facelift means that there are “early 1971” models — such as the car you’re considering — and “late 1971” models.  Each has its attractions.

Don’t worry about the Code Number, but here it is on the window sticker for a 1972 2002. The Code Numbers appeared the engine block bosses for a brief period, prior to the adoption of the displacement “”stamp. Stated differently, the Code Numbers were replaced on the block by “1,6”, “2,0”, etc.

Regards,

Steve

87E2803B-124B-4B2C-A4D0-0CEBEC11184A.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

hi Steve,i have also found the details you get from germany on your car plus when it left there storage area for shipping to different countries really great.but what i have not been unable to get from germany is any shipping details from hamburg or bemenhaven to the countries where the car were delivered. i live in new zealand so i think the bmw cars that were delivered to aussie would have been on the same ships late 1967.cheers keven

I think early cars for Australia (and most likely NZ I expect) were shipped via the UK as they were a common specification so the path to you may not be that clear. It’s not clear who supported and arranged sales for the cars in the early days (I guess one of those international dealer books from the time could reveal something). 

My car from 1973 was imported into Prahran, Victoria to the BMW concessionaires there so I am guessing that BMW had built up enough custom in the antipodes to make it worth opening up local support. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

hi Simeon,thanks for getting back re shipping,you may be correct,because the newly appointed bmw dealer he in New zealand from mid 1967 ross jensen motors, also had the Jensen,Daimler and the Alfa Romeo agency:s which may have been shipped on the same boat.i will try the book you mentioned.cheers keven

12 hours ago, keven james mosen said:

hi Steve,i have also found the details you get from germany on your car plus when it left there storage area for shipping to different countries really great.but what i have not been unable to get from germany is any shipping details from hamburg or bemenhaven to the countries where the car were delivered. i live in new zealand so i think the bmw cars that were delivered to aussie would have been on the same ships late 1967.cheers keven

Hey, Keven,

I have never seen any shipping details, e.g., ship names, dates, manifests, for BMW’s of the ‘02 era. This doesn’t mean none exist, but I don’t believe any have surfaced yet.

For European deliveries, where BMW AG often (generally?) sold/consigned the car directly to the retail dealership, BMW Archives sometimes knows and publishes the name of the dealership. But for countries such as the U.S., where 99% of the deliveries were made by an independent sole importer (Hoffman Motors Corp through the end of 1974), ownership and liability for the car generally passed to the sole importer before shipment. Thus, in the instance of U.S. deliveries, those shipping records were probably maintained by the sole importer, Hoffman Motors. But the sole importer no longer exists and the old records are nowhere to be found. ☹️

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)