Sahara

Couple of engine bay questions

9 posts / 320 viewsLast Reply

Inspecting my motor and front subframe/suspension as I often two and came up with a couple of questions. First, please identify the sensor in the intake manifold, mine does not appear to be wired to anything, second, I know the driver side motor mount bracket has a reputation for going out but how strong is the rest of the subframe, especially the highlighted areas? I also never hear about rear subframe and trailing arm issues, are they just stronger? Anything to watch for there? 

identplease1.png

identify2.png

(edited)
21 minutes ago, HBChris said:

That fitting provides vacuum to your brake booster.

Actually, never mind, that's a picture of the wrong manifold. I'm referring to this thing which clearly has electrical contacts on the end of it and was likely a sensor of some kind. 

thisthing.png

Edited by Sahara

That sender controls some smog gear disabling or maybe enabling it until the car is warmed up. as for the webbing on the sub frame it's not a known problem area on street or club cars race cars maybe different.

Just now, Son of Marty said:

That sender controls some smog gear disabling or maybe enabling it until the car is warmed up. as for the webbing on the sub frame it's not a known problem area on street or club cars race cars maybe different.

Ah, makes sense as my car has been fully de-smogged. God bless Kansas and their total lack of vehicle inspections. 

Have not come across anyone having issues with the areas you have highlighted, maybe the longer serving members will weigh in.  IE offers reinforcing plates for the left motor mount and plate for the under side of the cross member.

After the front motor mount, the next subframe failure point is in the rear-

the tabs that hold the trailing arms fatigue and crack at the welds

and the bends.  I've seen it on several racing subframes (including my own)

and it cost Gordon Jones a RunOffs finish back a few years now.

There are several versions of the rear subframe, but it pays to reinforce

them IF you're racing.  Most do when they modify the points for adjustable

caster and camber.

I have only seen cracked tabs on one parts car- and it had obviously

been hit, so I don't think it's a particularly weak point.

fwiw,

t

That temperature sender is the T1 Temp Switch that provides ground (closed) to the Choke Relay at ambient temperatures below 63F or 17C.  In later cars it is also wired to the T2 switch which is in the water jacket below the intake manifold and grounds the Choke Relay and EGR/Advance Relay below 113F or 45C.  The EGR/Advance Relay powers the Red top electro-magnetic valve when T2 is cold (no vacuum flow) and powers the Black top electro-magnetic valve when T2 is warm, (no vacuum flow).

Just in case you wanted to re-install your smog equipment.

Mark92131

• Like 3