Found this 1600-2 this evening

10 posts / 885 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, xlittlejohnx said:

Yes. The earlier ones had the area around the gauges painted silver as well

2 hours ago, xlittlejohnx said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)
9 hours ago, xlittlejohnx said:

https://www.palace-garage.com/v%C3%A9hicule/vente-bmw-1600-2-1969-achat-bmw-1600-palace-garage/

Is the chrome dash correct? Thought they were only on earlier build dates...

This is a Euro-spec car.  Although U.S. models were forced by D.O.T. regulations to give up the chrome-trimmed dashboard by January 1, 1968 — the actual switchover occurred in October-ish 1967 — Euro-spec cars retained the chrome-trimmed dashboard until April 1971, with the introduction of the Modell 71.

This is a gorgeous example! Personally, I believe it is a Sahara car; Manila has a more yellow tonality.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Yes, the chrome dash is correct. You can't use US spec cars as a benchmark for "Correctness", and this includes many things such as the dash, blinkers, reflectors, aluminum spacers on top of struts, bumpers, bumper guards, license plate lights, etc US cars don't represent "Originality". They have been modified to comply with US regulations. Most US 02s, with the exception of the 66-67 BMW 1600-2, are actually "Incorrect".

• Like 1

(edited)
13 hours ago, Slavs said:

Wasn't the folding key a rally car option ?

A folding key came standard with ‘02’s from 1966 until 197?: there’s a shorter folding blank for the earliest cars and a slightly longer folding blank for later cars.

I don’t know when the folding keys ended. My ‘76, which I purchased new, did not come with a folding key. My ‘73 -- not purchased new -- came to me with two coded ignition keys, neither one folding. Does that indicate the "folding key era" ended before 1973? Perhaps, but you can buy new coded keys directly from BMW, so maybe one or both of my coded ignition keys -- as old and worn as both were -- are simply old replacements. My ‘70 came with a folding key: I still have it.

So when did the folding key feature end?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1