• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii pump linkage ‘cup’ replacement.

kbmb02

I was test-driving a Tii yesterday, noted lots of play in the accelerator pedal and likewise lousy running. The culprit is the linkage ‘cup’ on the pump, into which the vertical linkage fits. (The unit shown is a sample, part marked in orange paint.)

On the car in question, the metal cup is 40% obliterated, and ought be replaced (I see the remnants of a plastic bushing in there as well). There appears to be an access hole on the other side of that cup, I’m speculating it (metal cup piece) could be replaced on the bench, but wondered if that cup can be replaced without removing the pump. Thanks for any info. -KB

7F3504BA-E8F2-47A3-BD77-EE3DF1521B23.thumb.jpeg.7fbd8611946c5c07ca998b10c217bb40.jpeg

One thing I have on my list of things to do is to get a cup and then machine a version of it made out of UHMW Polyethylene - I think a cup made from that would possibly outlast most cars. If anyone is interested in one, PM me and if there's a lot of interest I can bump up the priority of that project. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

KB this is the part you're missing. It's made out of hard plastic and it's NLA.

I just had my injection system rebuilt and when I got it back this part was missing. I think all it did was protect the ball joint that sits in this area to remain in grease without dirt getting into the area. 

K1oCa7C4Q8mi+l513t8IPA.jpg

• Like 1

I think it is #92 in the attached pic - it is metal

image.png.346bb23191d0e7bcf8dfee5d1b66f0ee.png

To be clear, I was suggesting fabricating a replacement for the plastic cup - but UHMW polyethylene is tough enough that if the metal cup is worn I bet i could just make a one piece replacement for the original metal-plastic combination. 

Edited by BarrettN

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

51 minutes ago, DaveW said:

It's made out of hard plastic and it's NLA.

I just had my injection system rebuilt and when I got it back this part was missing. I think all it did was protect the ball joint that sits in this area to remain in grease without dirt getting into the area. 

Believe it or not the cover was made out of rubber material.  Only got hard with age.  Fortunately I have my original cover, but I'd also like a spare.  I've thought about molding these myself.  Google and Youtube have a few vids on how to copy rubber parts.

Ball cup (diagram pt# 92) is still available from the regular suppliers including BMW, AFAIK.  They last a very long time if there is clean lubricant in the hole.  Stupid expensive for what you get.847956335_BallcupandCover1.jpg.7ad7bce0030f143953271fd71fc19382.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, kbmb02 said:

be replaced without removing the pump.

You can remove the WUR from the pump and work on it on the bench.  Hope I've helped answer your question.  You are right: the fitting for the ball cup and intermediate shaft looks to be a separate part that could be removed and replaced with a new machined fitting.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hey, look what I found! I thought that part looked familiar. I bought a used (of course) tii engine a couple of years ago and, among other spare parts, it came with 4 - 35mm film canisters, that contained linkage ends, throttle body springs, banjo bolt filters and these three socket boots. They are indeed soft, pliable rubber as Paul described. I didn't know where they were used until today.

Regards,

Tony

IMG_1002.thumb.JPG.ad851bf8b180ccd3f7fe8f90f8dc7f86.JPG

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

Thanks, all. On this car...

1) there are remnants of the rubber/plastic piece.

2) the metal portion - that which is pressed into the pump - is mangled, with a good chunk of it missing (primitive marked-up area shown in yellow).

As I look at it more, I’m fairly-certain the pump will need to me out. I’ll need to replace that part and add the second piece as described above, or, machine a one-piece unit out of a suitable material. -KB

FDF510D2-82B1-48E0-9596-03927E31158E.thumb.jpeg.6166c686952d665b998f1259810668d9.jpeg

Well, this rubber cup business is all news to me. 

Went out to the car car to take a look and this is what I got. 

B02A122C-EEBD-452D-B04A-507771C5FB9C.thumb.jpeg.bd46854658470a9bd583246179f59136.jpeg

You can see the metal cup (holder?) but don’t see signs of the rubber cup referenced by KB. When I put  everything together a couple of years back, the piece that Ensign is talking about fit snugly in the cup holder to receive the intermediate shaft ball. Wondering if the rubber cup was in there and didn’t notice??

What does the rubber cup look like when installed?

Vince

Edited by mvliotta

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

Vince, the rubber piece goes over the round metal section and the rod goes through it. I believe it is strictly there to keep dirt out of the ball/cup area since it sits in an upright position as compared to the other throttle rod pieces that are aiming horizontally where dirt would be harder to settle in there. 

• Like 1

I know one of my cars has that rubber boot and the other it fell apart years ago.  I'm thinking that you might be able to find something that will work as a replacement, maybe from one of those rubber boots where the ignition wires connect to the coil or something similar?  KB's issue is a bigger deal with the metal housing being messed up.  

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

1973 tii Inka - Oranjeboom

1974 tii Fjord/Primer - The Thrasher (my daily driver since 1986)