• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't drive my car hard enough...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi Folks,

I feel like this should be a Dear Abbey column...

Car:

1973 Tii - 13k on rebuilt motor built to close to stock specs, rebuilt and fresh 5 spd OD, 3.91 LSD.

This car has been bulletproof for 13k miles, it ALWAYS starts, runs like a champ, pulls hard, etc. I drive this car everyday...

My problem: I don't think I drive it hard enough! My job is less than 5 miles away, I have all surface streets (probably 9 traffic lights). I rarely get this car over 3500 rpm! I notice that after a month or so my performance starts to lag slightly...

Whenever I DO take it out on the highway, I usually notice a nice puff of black smoke at 6500rpm and then no more smoke puff and WHAM! Car runs better in all driving conditions!

Recommendations? Drive the car hard every weekend? Different gas? Gas additive? Different head or cam? Buy a Honda civic?

I hate the thought that I am not using this car to it's potential, but the fact is that thats my driving for now...

All thoughts appreciated!

Thanks folks,

Jason

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Most of your driving is done with the warm up regulator giving you a richer mixture, carbon buildup, and other ills often associated with Lil Ol' Ladies.

That's MY job around here, sonny!

:)

Delia

Guest Anonymous

That's probably carbon buildup that you're blowing out at high revs. Not a problem but a symptom; your car is telling you to drive it a little harder. The owners manual for the e9 coupe actually says to take the car out on the highway every once in a while and run it over 4500 rpms for 15 minutes if the car sees a lot of consistant around-town driving.

Guest Anonymous

For just $20 per month I will come to your house, take the keys, and go beat the crap out of your car for several hours (after warming the motor properly of course) and then I will return the car and keys to you until my next visit.

It's great!

-Andrey

Guest Anonymous

Delia is right. You need to drive the car longer and harder. Cars like a good 30-45 minute (or longer) drive on a regular basis. Its kind of like me sitting and working at my desk and getting up to get a drink and then calling that exercise. It just doesn't qualify...

Karl

Guest Anonymous

Red02RearQuarter.jpg

and ride to work. Come home and take the Tii for a proper drive at

least a few times a week. Hour long, twisty roads, 6k rpm, get the soot

out! It's not a bad position you're in there, and I hear you with wanting

to at least USE the car even though your trip to work is so short. Maybe

you drive straight to work in the morning and take a much longer route

on the way home...? Good luck and if you ever need a stand-in driver

you know where to find me... Cheers!

>Davin

Guest Anonymous

I usually shift at about 3k rpm in lazy driving, but will rev it up to 4k if I need to move quickly. Only very rarely do I get much above 4k -- maybe once every other month? But it doesn't burn any oil at 130k miles, and I know my dad drove it at least this conservatively, so it can't be all wrong.

Hey, at least I don't drive it to work regularly -- I have a 1.5-mile commute with two traffic lights. I usually don't get the choke clear off by the time I shut it down. I'd rather abuse our old Plymouth with neglect.

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

italian.jpg

I love taking my '02 out for a drive early on Sunday mornings when roads are empty and cops are scarce. A good 30 - 45 minute drive at a brisk pace has both car and driver coming back refreshed and in good spirits..

Guest Anonymous

blue_car_new_wheels_back_rear.JPG

I appreciate all the replies...

I am thinking about Davin's advice and riding my bike more! and then take the 02 out on weekends or on those days when I can opt for another route thats longer...

Andrey your advice is good too ;-)

4500rpm for 15 min, eh? I REALLY need to drive this car harder!

-Jason

Guest Anonymous

From Monty Python

(Scene: a wartime RAF station)

Jones: Morning, Squadron Leader.

Idle: What-ho, Squiffy.

Jones: How was it?

Idle: Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Jones: Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, Squadron Leader.

Idle: It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Jones: No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.

Idle: Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy.

Jones: Hold on then -- Wingco! -- just bend an ear to the Squadron Leader's banter for a sec, would you?

Chapman: Can do.

Jones: Jolly good. Fire away.

Idle: Bally Jerry... (he goes through it all again)

Chapman: No, I don't understand that banter at all.

Idle: Something up with my banter, chaps?

GRAMS: AIR RAID SIRENS

(Enter Palin, out of breath)

Palin: Bunch of monkeys on the ceiling, sir! Grab your egg-and-fours and let's get the bacon delivered!

Chapman (to Idle): Do you understand that?

Idle: No -- I didn't get a word of it.

Chapman: Sorry, old man, we don't understand your banter.

Palin: You know -- bally tenpenny ones dropping in the custard!

(no reaction)

Palin: Um -- Charlie choppers chucking a handful!

Chapman: No no -- sorry.

Jones: Say it slower, old chap.

Palin: Slower banter, sir?

Chapman: Ra-ther.

Palin: Um -- sausage squad up the blue end?

Idle: No, still don't get it.

Palin: Um -- cabbage crates coming over the briny?

The others: No, no.

(Film of air-raid)

Idle (voice-over): But by then it was too late. The first cabbage crates hit London on July the 7th. That was just the beginning.

(Chapman seen sitting at desk, on telephone)

Chapman: Five shillings a dozen? That's ordinary cabbages, is it? And what about the bombs?... Good Lord, they are expensive.

Guest Anonymous

...on the E30 before I go too many more miles.

...and a center support bearing, too!

Don't count me out, tho...

:)

Delia