PaulTWinterton

Origin of Colors: Fact or Fiction?

32 posts / 1059 viewsLast Reply

23 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I always thought the 02 bright colors were a product of the "psychedelic" 60s and early 70s.  Not unlike other brands such as VW and Porsche.

ya mean something like this.....maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.9583d51fe1ac611988b9830cde36de97.jpg

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, joysterm said:

ya mean something like this.....maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.9583d51fe1ac611988b9830cde36de97.jpg

Now I know why she wanted a "Mecedes Benz"🤔

• Haha 1

(edited)
17 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Her estate was very happy that she did not, that paint job netted the estate 1.7 million at auction a few years back....go figure

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 1

(edited)
19 hours ago, Rich said:

does everyone remember Colonel Klink on Hogans Heros ? " Very interesting, but stupid " 😀

Since we're slightly off topic, I remember this as Artie Shaw on "Laugh-in". Am I disremembering. {Don't tell Trump.}

Edited by GoGo Garnet
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, GoGo Garnet said:

Since we're slightly off topic, I remember this as Artie Shaw on "Laugh-in".

Artie Shaw  - Big Band leader,  Arte Johnson - Laugh In

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jgerock said:

I didn't realize Honda offered bright colors. I've been buying Hondas for many years and shy away from them if they don't offer good color options.  The Fit is a very popular model 👊.

Been offering bright colors for some time.  This is my son's 01 S2000...Indy Yellow Pearl.  You can't see pearl unless it's in the sun.

IMG_20190723_183948066_HDR.jpg

20 hours ago, 02Les said:

Oh LORD

On 7/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, joysterm said:

Her estate was very happy that she did not, that paint job netted the estate 1.7 million at auction a few years back....go figure

The collector that bought it lives by me. The car is pretty cool in person.  It was purchased as a Birthday or a Christmas present,,  because they can.  😀

Myth.

BMW colors follow similar color choices as other leading brands of the day. If some guy told me it was for tax breaks, i'd spit my coffee laughing. 

9 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

If some guy told me it was for tax breaks, i'd spit my coffee laughing. 

If you'd been there you might have believed him.  Germans...Safety...Autobahn...He was quite convincing.  Hence this posting.  I was hoping for an elder German FAQ member to debunk or verify this statement.

A myth professed to be fact.

I will say that owning a car in "safety orange" has never kept other vehicles from attempting to hit me.  I'm a magnet for bad drivers.

Safety colors. No. I have come very close to being hit in bright red cars and even in a Golf 2002. If you're not looking, you won't see the brightest car anyhow.

Photo below shows me before I was old enough to drive dad's pride and joy, but hey....later on I drove it with great gusto.

265853_1446338616085_5517934_o.jpg

• Like 2

Paul,

I too, know about the safety colors and the insurance discount that was associated. At least that is what I was told from an old-timer friend who lives in the Fatherland!

Bob

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bob02 said:

I too, know about the safety colors and the insurance discount that was associated. At least that is what I was told from an old-timer friend who lives in the Fatherland!

Really!  Insurance discount!  There may be some truth after all.  Take that you naysayers! :P

Thank you, Bob.

6 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Paul,

Bob

Ahh insurance discount is a bit different to a tax deduction. Even now your insurance company actuary will be using the colour of your car to try and understand if you are a greater or lesser risk. 

https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/216475/An-investigation-into-the-relationship-between-vehicle-colour-and-crash-risk.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300804/

• Like 1