Jump to content
PaulTWinterton

Origin of Colors: Fact or Fiction?

32 posts / 1114 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

(edited)

I always thought the 02 bright colors were a product of the "psychedelic" 60s and early 70s.  Not unlike other brands such as VW and Porsche.

 

I met a guy at a C&C yesterday.  He stated that back in the day the German authorities offered a reduced road tax (or registration, not sure) if a person bought a brighter car  in "safety colors" such as bright orange, bright yellow or bright green.  Is this true or false?

 

Edited by PaulTWinterton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It surely wasn't done in the States but domestic cars came in similar bright colors,usually with goofy names.  Remember "Grabber Orange" or "Plumb Crazy"?  And how about Plymouth's "Mod Top" option--a vinyl top in a paisley print--with matching upholstery!

 

mike

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been living in Germany on and off since 1993, never heard of such a discount. The insurers do point to the fact that light colors and daytime headlights facilitate cognitive recognition of a car....but haven't seen financial incentives.

Andrew

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of daytime headlights, I am surprised their not mandated in more northern geographies. I did have a girlfriend in college who refused to turn the heater on in her Toyota Tercel in the winter in Vermont,  because she thought it wastes a whole lot of fuel....to each his own.

Andrew

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

On the topic of daytime headlights, I am surprised their not mandated in more northern geographies.

Andrew

Of all the things automakers did to PREVENT people from actually turning on their lights after the sun goes down...the DRL is it.  I believe the DRL requirement started in Canada.

 

I constantly see people driving with either the DRL (two smallish headlights) or none at all here in the MD/DC/VA areas.  

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

 I did have a girlfriend in college who refused to turn the heater on in her Toyota Tercel in the winter in Vermont,  because she thought it wastes a whole lot of fuel....to each his own.

Andrew

I had to manually crawl under my 75 VW Beetle and open/close the heater boxes when required. Why did I have to do this?  Well, I installed an engine which used the "older" type heater boxes rather than the "later" ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
6 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I always thought the 02 bright colors were a product of the "psychedelic" 60s and early 70s.  Not unlike other brands such as VW and Porsche.

 

I met a guy at a C&C yesterday.  He stated that back in the day the German authorities offered a reduced road tax (or registration, not sure) if a person bought a brighter car  in "safety colors" such as bright orange, bright yellow or bright green.  Is this true or false?

 

 

It’s probably false, Paul,

 

But... of note:

 

My father was an insurance agent who spent his early career years — at least a decade — as an automotive insurance adjuster with Nationwide Insurance, in which role he absorbed lots of data developed by and used by the insurance industry and his company. Among this data was a correlation between car color and accidents.

 

Safety orange (which would include both Inka and Colorado) was the most visible color, followed by white. Dad was not personally into this “orange thing” but our family cars, for decades, were heavily weighted towards white — not by accident 😉 — and my eldest niece — 40 years old by now — still buys white cars because her grandfather pronounced them “safer”!

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my honda fit standfit.JPG.e71e97338a936d00b1be98ef29134f1d.JPGfit.JPG.e71e97338a936d00b1be98ef29134f1d.JPGs out in a crowd...and has daytime running lights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, esty said:

my honda fit standfit.JPG.e71e97338a936d00b1be98ef29134f1d.JPGfit.JPG.e71e97338a936d00b1be98ef29134f1d.JPGs out in a crowd...and has daytime running lights

I didn't realize Honda offered bright colors. I've been buying Hondas for many years and shy away from them if they don't offer good color options.  The Fit is a very popular model 👊.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does everyone remember Colonel Klink on Hogans Heros ? " Very interesting, but stupid " 😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were defintely known as safety colours, but have never heard of a tax incentive (that could be a generalisation)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jgerock said:

Of all the things automakers did to PREVENT people from actually turning on their lights after the sun goes down...the DRL is it.  I believe the DRL requirement started in Canada.

 

I constantly see people driving with either the DRL (two smallish headlights) or none at all here in the MD/DC/VA areas.  

 

When I hitchhiked across Yemen back in the day NO ONE used their headlights at nite, in order to save gas. No amount of explanation would change anyone’s mind.

 

One time recently I was pullled over by the cops in in Canada for driving with my headlights on during the day.

 

You just can’t win the headlight game is what I’ve learned.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

17 hours ago, jgerock said:

 

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.