• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73tii brought back to life part 1

iinca

On 9/22/2019 at 3:05 PM, iinca said:

Everywhere I check it's saying NLA...Maybe a later model tip will work?

Here's a pic of the one I got from Roger's..No set screw. Press on (or should I

say 'beat on with a large rubber mallet)

82-11-9-413-970-M125.jpg

Steve …was the lip  on the original tips square edged (as the 911s were) or round like this repop?

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

fwiw BLUNT sold me a rounded lip tip the same as the Silverline one above.  (it's been years now though)

That lip is one of my favorite little details on the car. 

I enjoy wiping the soot off of it every so often and admiring the shine.

You can have my beauty rings and shiniest center caps, but not my tailpipe +bling+ ;) 

Tom

• Haha 1

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for adding confusion.  (3-28-2024)  

4 hours ago, Mike A said:

Steve …was the lip  on the original tips square edged (as the 911s were) or round like this repop?

Mike,

The originals were rolled round at the aft like this aftermarket version. They were of low quality and I’m certain I replaced them an unreasonable number of times....

My ‘76 is currently running one of these aftermarket tips.  I believe the ‘73 has an OEM version.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Rocker project done. "Matched" the Malaga color at a Paint shop in Reno. Close but not exact

but that's ok for the rockers 

Used mostly the original clips but had to add 6 aftermarket VW/BMW black clips..which I left a

little 'high' to give the rocker trim a place to bite.

Sanded and ground the all the surface rust... Por 15 primer....  3 coats of the rattle can Malaga.   Then attacked it with the buffer

The whole rocker section had been painted black by a PO and was a Malaga over spray nightmare with dull chrome. Just a big mess down there...

Spent a week hand buffing the rocker chrome trim with Brasso and other polishing stuff in my living room. Decent shine...

Blunts OE rocker gasket kit went on ea$y enough. Used Napa's Mac silicone. Which to me is alot better

than most clear silicone'. Especially the Permatex garbage I started with...it's crap...gaskets literally fell off after a day or two! Mac's is amazing for a generic Napa product. I used it for the all the body rubber

trim and it just doesn't fail

note: I HATE black rockers on 2002's!!! To me it screws up the body lines if that makes sense.

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4080 (1).JPG

IMG_4090 (1).JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4184.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

• Like 1

More shiny stuff today for the 'polished turd' (which is VERY close to being as polished as it can be)

New grill reflectors to replace 'foggy' originals

AND

I finished my Trunk Panel Vinyl paint project. I was stoked when the SEM Warm Grey #15183 was a near match to OE grey! I prepped with their Prep Cleaner TWICE and let that dry for an hour before applying 5 light coats of the Grey. Total success

*It took 1 can per panel. I bought 3..and extra for touch up

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4205.JPG

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG

Edited by iinca
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

You use the word “pilfered?  Anyone else would’ve said their car was “broken into”.  There may be a hairy nippled bare chested knuckle draggin’ belly hangin’ centurion behind that photo of yours but I think I’m in love... Hard workin,  chipper as all get-up, mechanical (I think)l and if those are only your driving lites I can imagine how  the high beams work. Travels for work (Tahoe/Frisco)  has a living room, a beautiful 02’ I may be reaching deep here but “ Your 02 is prettier than you and that’s a huge compliment cuz You are amazingly stunning.  That polish job is incredible and I’m pretty sure I saw (not “small spots”) ALOT of overspray DOTS on that bonnet. Good On-Ya!  AND!!!  A bong out of a tailpipe.  She thinks outside the box! Girl!  You’re F-n napalm!!!