• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle Problems - It just won't

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Car runs fine while the gas pedal is in use. But, when I come to a stop or slow down the car just dies. For example, I was travelling on the freeway today, needed to stop for traffic, so I pop the car into neutral, hit the brakes and at 30mph the car dies. WTF.

The only thing I have done is adjust the long verticle throttle linkage from the pedal. Tried adjusting it back and nothing has changed. Since that did not work I tried adjusting the throttle screw on the tuna can and it did nothing to change the idle at all (As far as I could tell). SO I put that back to its original position. Any Ideas? Need points, all around tune up?

Also, my blinker light has stayed on at times when using the blinkers. It will not blink, just goes solid. Then after some time, which is never consistant, it goes off. Then may or may not work fine following. Today it did 3-4 times and then started working just fine....

I have a '69 w/ 72tii engine.

TIA for any assistance.

Guest Anonymous

perhaps a massive vacuum leak? Check things like where the tii runners meet the intake and the lower manifold. The way I do it is have the car running (hold the linkage in place if needed) and spray brake kleen at meeting surfaces and see if the engine speed rises when the stuff hits a certain spot.

-Andrey

Guest Anonymous

The hose that goes from the warm-up regulator on the pump to the bottom of the intake plenum. They're a PITA to replace so they tend to get old. Maybe it ripped?

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

I ran out to start it, I am at work, and it ran just like a good little tii should. Right up to 800rpms. But, as the car warms up it starts to get erratic and of course then do what it did to me today. I checked the hose Matt spoke of and the one from the breather tube to the throttle body. Both seemed fine. Other than the intake runners, which seem solid and were replaced right when I got the car, the two hoses I mentioned, what other vaccum areas should I check.

Sorry still learning the car. Thanks again.

Guest Anonymous

If so start there and do everything from 0.

As you know, the tii system gives the motor additional air and fuel on warm up. As the warm up regulator releases, the car should run if set up properly. You are either starving for fuel or air.

When you adjusted the tuna can, did you move the screw inside the can or the one on the outside?

Let me know if you need the material.

Guest Anonymous

Another thing to check is the warm-up regulator itself. After the car warms up, try putting a finger at the base of where the rod has extended up from the regulator. If you hear/feel suction after the car has warmed up, you have a leak there.

If you have the '72 tii plastic intake runners make sure the O-rings are OK...that would be another huge leak. But given that the engine is OK until it warms up, I'd say the problem is in the warm-up circuit.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

would want it if you have available. I adjusted the screw on the outside of the can. This is the idle correct. The on the inside is the mixture, yeah!

Guest Anonymous

a tii makes the engine drop way low at idle, even to cause the engine to quit. Try lostening the 10mm nut at the distributor base and twisting it a bit counter-clockwise. No vacuum advance on tii so vacuum probibly isn't the problem.

Guest Anonymous

It is now fixed and even running better but now I need to do a valve adjustment. Although I knew that was coming.

It turns out that the linkage wasn't set correctly. See my Old Man was helping me, and don't get me wrong, he knows a ton about cars, but sometimes he is not the most precision oriented guy. But a lot of the stuff I have done to my car could not have been done without him. He is a god in my eyes. He was the one who was adjusting the linkage and then "put it back close to where it was". Yeah I said close. Turns out it wasn't close enough. So when I was letting off the pedal at high rpm it basically just shut off all gas flow immediately. Too much air not enough gas as pikachu 72 stated.

So it runs nicely, got rid of the large dead spot in the pedal and there is one minor small one I need to find. I set the timing and now under load have a knocking valve. Although I believe the knocking valve had already started to develop.