• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gas tank fuel & vent line routing?

iagainsti

i finally got a 2002! it's a 1970 that looks fantastic from 10 feet away but has an endless list of things that drive me nuts... this is FUN! right? ?

i have worked for a few air-cooled VW shops restoring, maintaining and selling parts. I know every nut and bolt of every year on VWs, but the 02 is new to me and the amount of readily available information is kinda lacking in comparison. I've searched photos and the forum for an answer here, but maybe someone can chime in:

i'm trying to get rid of a a strong fuel smell and am not sure where these vent lines go. #1 was open, so i added a line to the plastic box under the rear shelf... there's another line that leaves the box and disappears near the back seat towards the front of the car. #2 is hooked up to a line that also disappears under the seat to the front of the car. (where do these go?) what the heck is that plastic box under the package shelf? what hooks up to the vent on the fuel filler neck?

if someone can point to photos or a diagram of how all this should be hooked up, that would be amazing.

IMG_5110.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

From your picture:  line #2 is your fuel line that runs from the gas tank, through the car to the fuel pump and carb. Examine that short section of black hose carefully--if it's cloth covered, that's almost surely the source of fuel smell in the trunk.  It's most likely original and approaching 50 years old--the cloth covering hides cracks in the hose, making in porous.  Replace with modern US style fuel hose of the proper diameter.  There should also be a plastic ferrule on the fuel feed nipple that's fastened to the tank, so the hose can be properly tightened with its clamp.  

Hose #1 is part of the evaporative control system; there should be another hose leading out of the ? box (charcoal canister) that eventually leads to yet another grey metal canister in the engine compartment via a metal line.  And the nipple on the rubber gas filler connector should have a plastic or metal vent hose that runs through a fitting under the wood trunk floor at approximately midships just in front of the rear body panel, venting to the outside air under the car.  Absent the hose, that's another source of gas smell.

Were it my car, I'd disconnect hose #2 and plug that nipple, remove the canister from the trunk (two clips) and run a vent hose from the gas filler connector out the trunk floor as previously mentioned.  The gas tank has to be vented, and that's he way the factory did for all non US cars (and early US cars too).

Hope that makes sense.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm brand new to 2002 ownership myself, and one of the first issues I resolved was fuel smell in the cabin.  On my car a clear plastic tube ran from the port on your (?) marked black fuel filler neck to your (?) marked white plastic container.   A line then ran from the outlet of that container into the cabin, under the rear seat, and terminated somewhere thereafter.  My understanding is that this line ORIGINALLY lead to a carbon filter canister in the engine bay, but I knew this was not present on my car so I didn't bother tracing the line.  I instead did exactly what mike suggested above and just vented it out the trunk floor like the rest of the world does.

My U.S. spec '71 car had a little rubber plug covering a small hole in the trunk floor next to the spare tire bay close to the trunk latch.  I routed a plastic line (the original plastic line)  from the black fuel filler neck directly to this hole and purchased this grommet to complete the fitment:

http://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-grommet-for-fuel-tank-vent-pipe-hose/

The white container is then bypassed and can be removed from the car.

I immediately noticed a huge improvement, so that original line must of just been dumping the vapor fumes somewhere inside.  I'm still working on knocking out 100% of my rogue fume issues due to missing/old hood and trunk seals, but I feel this very simple fix got me 75% of the way there. 

Edited by toddfx
  • Like 2

mike: are you saying that the fuel is picked up through the sending unit and sent to the carb? the fuel isn't gravity-fed from the bottom of the tank?

is #2 a vent or fuel pick-up?

#1 and filler neck should both vent thru the floor?

4 hours ago, mike said:

Hose #1 is part of the evaporative control system; there should be another hose leading out of the ? box (charcoal canister) that eventually leads to yet another grey metal canister in the engine compartment via a metal line.  And the nipple on the rubber gas filler connector should have a plastic or metal vent hose that runs through a fitting under the wood trunk floor at approximately midships just in front of the rear body panel, venting to the outside air under the car.  Absent the hose, that's another source of gas smell.

Hi,

I believe the box you have mentioned above is the expansion tank, not the charcoal canister, which is located in the engine compartment.   Of course, my reference point is my '74 which may be different but the shape of the expansion tank suggests it's the same as in my car.

3 hours ago, iagainsti said:

mike: are you saying that the fuel is picked up through the sending unit and sent to the carb? the fuel isn't gravity-fed from the bottom of the tank?

Correct, the fuel pickup is from the top.

There is an assumption with the above remarks that the fuel return valve has been removed.  Until that has been ascertained, best to leave the fuel return line connected to the tank nozzle or there can be fuel dumped in the trunk.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

In the original setup, the tank vent line went from the charcoal canister into the air cleaner, so those precious fumes could be burned.  I've re-plumbed mine that way (minus the charcoal canister).  A previous owner had plugged the vent line under the hood and when I put the fuel return line back into service, I was pressurizing the tank, since there was no place for the pressure to go.  That got stinky.

I don't know what your air cleaner and fuel supply situations are, but I believe it is important to have a way for the residual pressure to bleed off after shut down.  Venting the tank is an important part of the fuel system

I suppose that plastic gas can could also be contributing to the smell.  Unless that is empty, I'd do more to secure it.

IMG_5110.JPG

As Mike mentions, you should replace the cloth covered supply line with a fresh piece of fuel hose while you are in there.

I suspect the main source of your current smell is the filler neck opening marked with (?).

Tom

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Installing a rebab'ed gas tank & fuel lines. In the picture is #1 into the tank the "return" line? Also, the p.o. put in (2) 3/8ths inch hard lines near the gas tank to the engine bay but the fuel sender at the tank is 5/16ths with the plastic sleeve. Can I just use a reducer from 3/8ths to 5/16ths without issues?

Thanks, Cort

Yes, #1 is the fuel return line and should be run to the fuel return valve next to the carb it should never be run to the vapor tank under the parcel shelf, if the fuel return valve has been remover cap #1 at the tank, #2 is the fuel feed to the engine, The ?  in the picture should run to the vapor tank or outside the car as described, I see no problem using a reducer as long as all connections have hose clamps.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 5 months later...

The vent line is the same dia. as the fuel feed line or the blue vent line if you have any extra, other wise look at real oem under euro cars and the parts for the euro vent are still available last time I looked, or easier yet call Max or Blunt and they will fix ya'up.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944