Lengrep

What new (still available) OEM parts are you putting in your spares stock?

11 posts / 312 viewsLast Reply

I just bought a Turbo oil cooler from BMW, knowing that it will never get produced when stocks are used up. Which made me wonder...what other parts should I be thinking about?!

What new, not yet NLA BMW parts are you all keeping on your shelf? This seems like a good place to share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The oil cooler lines,  exhaust manifold gaskets (between the head and manifold), a spare exhaust manifold (NLA but once in a while they show up).  Everything else that is unique to the turbo is basically NLA, but a lot of the normally expendable parts are not unique to the Turbo and still available.  If you don't have one of the cleanable type of air filter (K&N, Jetex, etc) watch for the next time someone has a batch made up and get on the list (we had a batch made about 2 years ago of about 20 and they went fairly fast).  We all tend to watch for the unique Turbo parts and try to either pick them up if the price is reasonable or at least let everyone know what is out there just in case someone is in desperate need.  I have a stash of some parts that I am sure I will never need but I also don't plan on selling them to just anyone (if you are a real turbo owner and need something I'll make sure you get your car back on the road if I can but I'm not interested in selling unique Turbo parts to someone to stick on their normal 2002)   

• Thanks 1

Did you open the box and compare it to the OE?

I did as you and what I received was nothing like the OE part. I still have that replacement but will probably never use it. Will consider selling it too.

I was able to find a few used oil coolers if you are interested in keeping original parts. I am having them tanked and will paint them the appropriate black.

2 hours ago, Preyupy said:

The oil cooler lines,  exhaust manifold gaskets (between the head and manifold), a spare exhaust manifold (NLA but once in a while they show up).  Everything else that is unique to the turbo is basically NLA, but a lot of the normally expendable parts are not unique to the Turbo and still available.  If you don't have one of the cleanable type of air filter (K&N, Jetex, etc) watch for the next time someone has a batch made up and get on the list (we had a batch made about 2 years ago of about 20 and they went fairly fast).  We all tend to watch for the unique Turbo parts and try to either pick them up if the price is reasonable or at least let everyone know what is out there just in case someone is in desperate need.  I have a stash of some parts that I am sure I will never need but I also don't plan on selling them to just anyone (if you are a real turbo owner and need something I'll make sure you get your car back on the road if I can but I'm not interested in selling unique Turbo parts to someone to stick on their normal 2002)   

I agree on the idea of carefully sharing from our private stock of original spare parts! 

I have a couple of the OE air filters.  I'm not a K&N fan, as they allow too much grit through to the engine.

2 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Did you open the box and compare it to the OE?

I did as you and what I received was nothing like the OE part. I still have that replacement but will probably never use it. Will consider selling it too.

I was able to find a few used oil coolers if you are interested in keeping original parts. I am having them tanked and will paint them the appropriate black.

I opened the box.  It's labeled by Behr, so I assumed it's a good spare, but my car is down in San Diego taking an extended holiday in Carl Nelson's shop.  The turbocharger went out for overhaul using one of Carl's precious OEM overhaul kits but the housing turned out to be cracked...

I'll try to get you pics of a side to side comparo tomorrow.

BEHR is about the only thing the same.

I'll try to get you pics of a side to side comparo tomorrow.

BEHR is about the only thing the same.

Oh my. $350-ish wasted...Maybe. It’s got an old manufacturing date, so I’m hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not wasted, but why are you replacing it?

The differences are that the OE is steel instead of aluminum, has a drain plug, and different profile for mounting.

Not that the rubber mounting profile is technically correct as it is a radiator part for the E9 cars.

I'll admit that my response was incorrect in that I had not looked at the part for three years nor a side to side comparison.

So, while the new part will probably work better since it is aluminum, you will have to remove a line to drain when you change the oil.

If anyone is interested in an OE part, I have a few that I found in my travels of parts scrounging and hoarding for trading for other parts. Make me an offer or trade.

And I expect that several points will be deducted for a non original part in your next concourse......those in the know will be looking!

479577667_ac728.thumb.jpg.3f3ee1289d63c7e201c08ae95e76c785.jpg

• Thanks 1

Separately, if your car is getting to be in the "high mileage" category, start looking for transmission parts; bearings and synchros for sure.

Took me almost two years' worth of searching and about $2K, as the Turbo transmission is "the same only different"...e.g. the input shaft bearing is, or should be, a split bronze cage rated to 10K RPM whereas for a standard 4 speed rated to only 6K RPM and is not designed for the increased loads.

Be forewarned that most rebuilders will say that they are the same as a stock 2002, which is a warning that their work will be suspect.

Differential parts; some are available through BMW, others through independent vendors.

Rear wheel bearings; again different, but still available from BMW, and the superseded part is of the sealed type, which is not a bad thing, a good thing.

Rear brake proportioning valve. Still available through BMW, an E9 part. Though I am analyzing as to whether the knee point is really correct if you change the friction coefficient of the pads and shoes and have modern tires, loading of the trunk notwithstanding.

Radiator.

Gas tank and fuel level sender, which can be refurbished.

I have many paper air filters, but bought in to the cleanable filters(NOT K&N)  that Richard Stern had made (through Byron) but have looked at having ITG make a panel filter (have not pulled the trigger as of yet) which has a high flow rate while filtering very small particles.

I'm like Byron; I have extra parts but am willing to sell only to bonafide Turbo owners in need.

There is more that I can't think of right now.

HTH

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2019 at 7:15 AM, Einspritz said:

Not wasted, but why are you replacing it?

The differences are that the OE is steel instead of aluminum, has a drain plug, and different profile for mounting.

Not that the rubber mounting profile is technically correct as it is a radiator part for the E9 cars.

I'll admit that my response was incorrect in that I had not looked at the part for three years nor a side to side comparison.

So, while the new part will probably work better since it is aluminum, you will have to remove a line to drain when you change the oil.

If anyone is interested in an OE part, I have a few that I found in my travels of parts scrounging and hoarding for trading for other parts. Make me an offer or trade.

And I expect that several points will be deducted for a non original part in your next concourse......those in the know will be looking!

479577667_ac728.thumb.jpg.3f3ee1289d63c7e201c08ae95e76c785.jpg

As a colleague of mine used to say...”Things that are different are not the same.”  Sigh

I’m not replacing mine at this time, just trying to stock potentially unobtainable spares for the future. 

Greg

The Turbo, in relation to a Tii, IS "just the same, only different".

I have a 36 year head start collecting parts, although "shoulda bought that when I had the chance" prevails.....

A major delineation in this process is the mileage of the car. Low mileage cars, which probably aren't driven, won't need say, the transmission, differential, or even the long block engine rebuilt. In high mileage cars this is presenting to be a challenge, but with the invention of the Internet much easier.

Things like distributor advance springs can go out of specification even without use. Drive shaft universal joints' grease gets hard....

With that in mind, there are parts that aren't specifically Turbo but prudent to have an inventory.....e.g. injectors and injector lines, and juxtaposed with the thought that rubber items while NOS, may not be serviceable 5-10-20 years in the future.

But you won't know that unless you have it in inventory.

• Thanks 1