• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition buzzer wiring circuit question

JsnPpp

So, call me nuts but I want to have the buzzer circuit working on my 1973.

I've reviewed all diagrams that I can find, and do not see the specific mention to the wires that pertains to the this simple circuit.  Makes it feel like this was an add on for US dealers or something like that.

Searching the 'faq, this is the best image I can find:

My understanding is that the buzzer only activates when the key is in ignition + door is open.

In order for this to work the ground connects to the door position switch and the power must come from the ignition switch side.  On my car I can't see where the ground wire comes out in the dash and I'm wondering if anyone has better photos illustrating the actual wires...

Thanks in advance!

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

2 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

call me nuts but I want to have the buzzer circuit working on my 1973.

I don't think it's nuts at all.  It's all part of originality.  I believe the seatbelt system is part of it as well.  The pre-74 cars have electrical connections on the Autoflug seatbelt retractors and sensors under the seat pads for the driver (and passenger IIRC).

I have not attempted to restore the circuitry but one liberty I would take is to change the BZZZZZZ to a chime or some other modern sound that is not so horrible.  Maybe a female voice that says "Please fasten your seatbelt"...like Siri's sister.  :)   Probably an easy reversible mod as the buzzer thingy was bolted to the center fascia under the steering column.

Please keep us informed of your progress.  I for one, would be interested in the results.  Good luck.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Thanks Paul, will do! Yes, it's about originality, I want to live with it for a bit to see what I think about it. I can also make it easy to disconnect if I need to (as per an old Mike post, to remove the ground from the spade connection on the drivers door switch).

Yep, my autoflugs have the seat belt switch too.  I'll most likely have to dig into it all at some point..

Jason

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

If you look at your ignition switch, you'll see a wire (or possibly the stub of one that a PO cut off) sticking out the side of the switch, not from the back where all the other wires are.  That's the trigger/hot lead for the buzzer.  Your driver's door courtesy light switch should have two terminals; one is for the light, the other is for the buzzer.  That's where most owners disconnected the buzzer, so you may have to fish around back in the cowl for that loose wire.  The buzzer itself is mounted in the lower section of the steering column surround, with two wires (per the picture above) connected to it.  One wire goes to the ignition switch, the other to the door switch.  It's a grounding circuit, so opening the door with the key in the ignition allows the door switch to ground and complete the circuit:  Buzzzzzz.

Hope a PO didn't remove the buzzer and throw in the neighbor's pool...but I'm sure you can easily find another!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here’s a pic of the wires to the buzzer, one is red/white, others might brown/red?  Wiring diagrams don’t include any US safety devices.

5CDCB206-351E-416B-8977-8A277FBFDDAF.jpeg

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Thats great, thank you Chris. Both are single wires, right?  The one on the right looks like it may be double, but that could just be red/white stripe and photograph angle.

The ignition switch, as Mike said (thanks Mike) has two wires coming out of the side on my '73. I'm assuming those two wires are both sides of the small induction switch in the ignition - one two power, the other to the buzzer.

The other side of the buzzer, probably the brown/red in your photograph somehow connects to the door switch.. I haven't found a dangling free wire yet under my dash, plan to look tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone. I'll take photos and post..

Jason

11 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I have not attempted to restore the circuitry but one liberty I would take is to change the BZZZZZZ to a chime or some other modern sound that is not so horrible.  Maybe a female voice that says "Please fasten your seatbelt"...like Siri's sister.  :)   Probably an easy reversible mod as the buzzer thingy was bolted to the center fascia under the steering column....

Jason,

The buzzers on my ‘76 and ‘73 are still connected. Why? Originality. But, to Paul’s point, the original BZZZZZZZ (a.) is, indeed, horrible, and (b.) continues forever, in contrast to a single chime or warning statement. ?

You’d be amazed how many times you’d like to have the key in the ignition, e.g., to play music, while your driver’s door is open. Just sayin’... be careful what you wish for. ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, mike said:

One wire goes to the ignition switch, the other to the door switch. 

So...what do the seatbelt wires and the pressure switch (strip) under the seats do?  Are they just to activate the Fasten Seatbelts warning panel on the dash?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

6 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

So...what do the seatbelt wires and the pressure switch (strip) under the seats do?  Are they just to activate the Fasten Seatbelts warning panel on the dash?

I wondered the same. I don't think there is a buzzer for the seatbelts because its not on the wiring schematic that I can find. My car has the autoflugs with seatbelt wire but they aren't connected either...

I re-wired mine to remind me when I leave my headlights on. If the key is turned off and the headlights are on it will buzz when I open the door. It only took two times that I left my lights on at work to decide I needed this (though it is a good way to find out which co-workers carry jumper cables)

• Like 3

74 Golf

2 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

I wondered the same. I don't think there is a buzzer for the seatbelts because its not on the wiring schematic that I can find. My car has the autoflugs with seatbelt wire but they aren't connected either...

Jason,

I’m not certain the factory consistently produced wiring diagrams that specifically captured all the U.S.-mandated stuff. There’s often more in a U.S. car than the diagrams show.

Regards,

Steve

9 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Paul,

In 1972 and 1973, I believe there is only an occupancy sensor under the passenger side. And, theoretically, the “fasten seat belt” light came on if there was a passenger and the belt was not fastened.

I believe the factory assumed a car could not be a threat if there was no driver, so no occupancy sensor was needed. If a key turned in the ignition, there was presumably a driver. Fastening the driver’s belt turned out the “fasten seat belt” light.

I believe 1974 cars, however, maybe 1975, too, had the ignition interlock system which stopped you from starting a car without a seat belt fastened. I suspect most of these were defeated by.... let me see.... 1974!

(Every once in a while, a forum member shows up with a car that absolutely will not turn over, no matter what! Some of these turn out to be those few 1974 interlock cars with still-active systems.)

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

Thats great, thank you Chris. Both are single wires, right?  The one on the right looks like it may be double, but that could just be red/white stripe and photograph angle.

That is two wires you're seeing.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif