irdave

Bought a Second Generation Tacoma

11 posts / 455 viewsLast Reply

Been looking for a truck for a little bit, wanted something not too big, not too small.  Drove a brand new 3rd gen Tacoma, sensors everywhere- blind spot sensors, back up sensors, if you get too close to something it'll turn the brakes on sensors...  Too many sensors for me.  Found a nice second gen Taco, 2013, that needed a new home.  Double cab (so seats 4 full size people), long bed (6', better for bicycles and paddle boards than the typical 5' bed), not too many miles...

Absolute silly part?  Uses the same oil filter as the M10 and S14.  No kidding.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:51 AM, irdave said:

Been looking for a truck for a little bit, wanted something not too big, not too small.  Drove a brand new 3rd gen Tacoma, sensors everywhere- blind spot sensors, back up sensors, if you get too close to something it'll turn the brakes on sensors...  Too many sensors for me.  Found a nice second gen Taco, 2013, that needed a new home.  Double cab (so seats 4 full size people), long bed (6', better for bicycles and paddle boards than the typical 5' bed), not too many miles...

Absolute silly part?  Uses the same oil filter as the M10 and S14.  No kidding.

I've got a Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed I've had since new in 2006.  For the past three years I've threatened to sell it and buy an F150 at the end of year clearance sales.  With 124k on it, it's just broken in.  I can't justify selling it.

I had no idea the filters were the same since I buy different brand filters for each!  Great to know.

3 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

I've got a Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed I've had since new in 2006.  For the past three years I've threatened to sell it and buy an F150 at the end of year clearance sales.  With 124k on it, it's just broken in.  I can't justify selling it.

I had no idea the filters were the same since I buy different brand filters for each!  Great to know.

They really are silly trucks.  We've done some car shuffling lately and I think we're done- I was trying to get to a point where I could have the cars for the next 20 years or so, and I think a Taco is a viable solution.  (Obviously a 2002 is also a real solution as they've already lasted this long...)

Neighbors just bought a new F150.  I think they got the near work truck version, so stripped out.  No way will it last as long as a Toyota.  Seems like a nice truck though.  If you just want something new you just want something new...

Oil filters; yeah, I've been using the Mobil 1 filters just because they have the 14 point heads so you can use the big socket tool to get them off (absolutely no room on the s14 to just grab it.)  Went to change the oil in the truck when I bought it- BAM.  Same filter.

You heard about the million mile 2007 Tundra? https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-toyota-truck-looks-like-after-1-000-000-mi-1776141464

I Typically change cars like underwear, but this Toyota is great and the longest I've ever owned a car. Lucky 13 years next week.  I'd like to get some of the newer safety and comfort features, otherwise I'd keep the truck.  Every summer we take it on a 2000 mile trip up to Cape Cod and back.  As it gets older, that trip is in the back of my mind, though the truck has never had a single hiccup over the years.  Heck, if my 2002 can make it on a 350 mile round trip to the vintage...

I had a buddy with a million mile Chevy Silverado.  He racked it up in about 15 years I think.  He contacted Chevy to see if they were interested in the milestone.  They could care less.  It's nice to see Toyota do a full tear down to understand more about their product.  That's the difference between cultures.

Here's a picture of mine when it was new, though if I took a picture today you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  It's nearly perfect still.

_MG_7252.thumb.JPG.d418b1232c73caae966bb445207f093c.JPG

Good luck with the Toyota... not that you'll need luck :)

Tim

• Like 1

Can I join the E10 / Taco club?  Mine is a 2006 with about 105K miles, long bed TRD Sport, my kids call her the smurfmobile.  I've only been using it for fishing and camping trips, she's a little beat up now and needs some TLC, clear coat is peeling, few scratch and dents.  I can't bring myself to sell it knowing I would regret it.  The truck sure is "long" though.

IMG_5949.JPG

One tip, the Taco has more plastic and rubber bits than Pamela Anderson.  Don't know if I read it on this forum, but Penetrol is the bomb to bring life back to the black plastic parts, like the rear bumper protector, mud flaps, window seals, etc.  

Welcome to the Taco club Steve!  That blue is my second favorite color. 

It it is long.  Longer than my Dodge Ram was. 😁  Thanks for for the tip about the Penetrol. I’d never heard of it. 

Tim

1 hour ago, NYTransplant said:

Welcome to the Taco club Steve!  That blue is my second favorite color. 

It it is long.  Longer than my Dodge Ram was. 😁  Thanks for for the tip about the Penetrol. I’d never heard of it. 

Tim

Yes, I bought it used and didn't care about color, but the Speedway Blue has grown on me.  The shell is nice, it keeps my friends from borrowing it to move their stuff.  The 1st generations are going for big money, and seems like I could sell it for as much as I paid for it 6 years ago. 

Penetrol is made by Flood, it doesn't end up turning milky white like a lot of the other wax based products, and apparently is good on metal for rust, and for thinning paint.  I had it detailed quite a few years ago with a clay bar, I think that lead to the clear coat failing. 

• Like 1

I’ve had my Tacoma for 11 years now since new. Double cab short bed but enough cargo space for my needs. Both my taco and 02 are more reliable than my wife’s 18 grand Cherokee. 

E66BDFD6-1F8D-4AE1-BF85-C935BAEB8111.thumb.jpeg.6a67728bff92e269f45176d19180f61b.jpeg

• Like 2

I love Toyotas, they just do what they're supposed to do. But I did a foolhardy thing, I just sold my 2005 Sequoia, and bought this Eurovan. So along with my 02, my other cars are my DD 2003 Forester (paid $500) and 2006 Tacoma. My friends think I'm "acting strange, they shake their heads and say I've changed" (Joni Mitchell). My wife has the fancy Lexus that's always beeping and flashing at me telling me how to drive. I occasionally have to ask my 17 year old daughter if I can borrow her new car when I have a meeting with clients. In return, she's begging me to teach her how to drive the 02 with a stick.

IMG_5982.JPG

• Confused 1

Yay!  Tacos!  I ordered up the Eibach suspension kit to level the front- new front springs, shocks and front sway bar relocator.  Waiting on a couple of parts they forgot to include...

And have been thinking about stickers like the TRD Offroad / Sport stickers that say 'Taco Grande.'