• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford 5.0 into an 02?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone here know if it has been done? Saw a v8 install in an 02 before online, think it was a huge blown 460, little over the top. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with this?

Guest Anonymous

a V8 swap could be cool, but please not a 5.0. It would just be too heavy and unbalanced. The car would lose its classic tossable feel. Now a Buick/Rover V8 would be way sweet because it actually weighs less than a tii motor. I have a Buick 215 V8 in my garage that will eventually end up in an '02. The LS1 would also be a good option due to the aluminum block. Just some Ideas. I think a 250 horse 215 with a t-56 or even a t-5 would be too much fun!!

Guest Anonymous

By the time you finish doing it properly, you wouldn't have an '02 any more. You'd be beefing up the trans, rear end, half-shafts, brakes, probably need to weld in a cage to stiffen the body sufficiently. You may as well buy a kit car or start with a body designed for that kind of torque. Handling and "tossability" are unlikely to survive.

Guest Anonymous

GREAT CONVERSION ! LIGHT WEIGHT & PLENTY OF POWER .

HOWEVER , THIS CAR WAS MADE FOR A V8 .

THE ROVER VERSION OF THE 215 IS AVAILABLE IN SIZES UP TO 5 LITERS NOW AND HAS GAINED NO WEIGHT !

THIS ENGINE IS THE FAVORITE OF THE BRITISH HOT ROD CROWD - THEY PUT THEM IN EVERYTHING !

THERE MUST BE SOME V8 POWER '02s RUNNING AROUND OVER THERE .

I HAVE TO ASK , HOW CAN A V8 LIVE IN THE SAME CAR WITH THE 2002 BRAKE SERVO ?

Guest Anonymous

17-

like in a Mercedes-Benz W123 (RIMSPOKE'S CHEV-BENZ here)

v-8 GOES INTO 02 FORMULA:

...............................$.......................

TIME + M O N E Y + tools + extra arms + good welding + TIME + MONEY = MAYBE

-------------------------------$----------------------

Guest Anonymous

17-

MANY FOLKS HERE HAVE SAID THEY DRIVE WITH-OUT !THE SERVO HOSE - PREFERRING TO PUSH ALITTLE HARDER !!!???

......... and few have your talent , skill & patience .

Your Chev-Benz is a work of A R T .

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all your replies, this is just a brain storming idea. The 5.0 ford is actually quite light, 425lbs in stock form, not to mention it is a very compact block, 13" from valve cover to valve cover! If I am not mistaken, I saw that a M20 weighs about 390lbs. A set of aluminum heads would knock off 30-40lbs off the 5.0, which would be lighter than the M20. I was looking into the M20 conversion, and it too looks like the awesome formula posted by the benz conversion guy! Rover engines? Not too sure if Range Rover engines are very cheep here in Florida, and the support for them I have no clue about. I used to have a 5.0 mustang, and the only thing I liked about the car was the motor. I now have this 02, and I like everything but the engine...lol

Guest Anonymous

26-7265047.JPG

I have lots-o- Technical Data books from my glory days with Mercedes-Benz, with lots of spring info

do you need alittle higher rear ride height, or is the height ok and you would like firmer / less travel ?

BILSTEIN HD shocks might be all you need.

from the pictures you posted earlier, my impression is the ride height looked 'level' ...... let me know if I can help and we'll continue by e mail

Creighton

Guest Anonymous

Friend had a 68 Cougar when I first got my 02. We had the hoods open and the gears spinning. If Iwould have had a little more mechanical experience and maybe a beater shell, I would have tried it.

I do remember seeing a Bavaria with a Chevy 350 in it. They called it the Bavette.