• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to hate my tii

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Ps.  I used a blue coil and resistor for years with my 008 dizzy.  I have since changed to a red coil (the new black) and resistor because someone told me I should.

Same story here Paul.  Car ran fine for years with Blue coil + resister.  The red coils (especially the old ones that were red) just look cooler ?

• Like 1

1973 tii Inka - Oranjeboom

1974 tii Fjord/Primer - The Thrasher (my daily driver since 1986)

IE distributor will not accept standard points and condensor or a pertronix unit. The distributor body architecture and the guts are proprietary. Other redundant information found elsewhere: traditional black and red coil are externally ballast resistance, blue coil has internal resistance, this may matter in regard to electronic/magnetic points replacement devices. 

Hate to sound like a Luddite...but I will.  My only concession to "modern" ignition systems is to add a trusty old Delta Mark 10B unit to my otherwise stock dizzy.  If the Delta fails, the push of a button on the Delta unit and I'm back to points and condenser--a system that worked really well for...say...about a hundred years!

End of Luddite rant.

mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Where's Zenon?

He's like a legend around here.  You have to be at least a twenty year 02 veteran to know who he is.  He's around but not involved anymore.   I did pull up beside him about 10 years ago and he was driving an EFI roundie.  Still an enthusiast I think, just not social. 

73 Inka Tii #2762958

4 hours ago, mike said:

Hate to sound like a Luddite...but I will.  My only concession to "modern" ignition systems is to add a trusty old Delta Mark 10B unit to my otherwise stock dizzy.  If the Delta fails, the push of a button on the Delta unit and I'm back to points and condenser--a system that worked really well for...say...about a hundred years!

End of Luddite rant.

mike

I think we're all a bit guilty of ludditism here, that's why we love old cars. I installed a 123 and it's been great, but always carry the old distributor and points wrapped up in the boot, just in case.

Be happy, 20 years running is a long time, most new cars have electrical faults all the bloody time.

On a lighter note, the heat on the East Coast will be very high this weekend.  Those attending PVGP may be wilting (even under the shade of those trees at the CCA corner).

i'm betting your ignition module crapped out.  Don't crank the engine too long or else you'll flood the engine (by the cold start valve).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ya. Had a blue coil with resistor setup for years. Found that the old dizzy’s advance was too steep of a curve. Also had petronix in there. Changed it with the 180 dollar IE one. Put a new Bosch cap and rotor on. Can there ignitor just come off and I put my old petronix in there? Gonna be a hot one. Anyone down in Pittsburgh should go out to Ohiopyle park and swim in the natural water slides to cool off. Beautiful down there. Went last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a switchable 123 Distributor, will last 16K miles or longer if you don't drive your Tii much. As a back up have your original distributor rebuilt by Advanced Distributors. I ran an IE when my original crapped out, used it for 6 months before going to 123. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

3 hours ago, roman.lysiak said:

Can there ignitor just come off and I put my old petronix in there?

Daron says above the Petronix won't fit in the IE dizzy... I have no experience, but give it a try if you already have one. 

I have put the HotSpark units in a couple of IE dizzies over the years with good success.  Very easy to swap it out.  One VERY important tip if you go this route... The wires of the igniter route around the shaft of the distributor and can rub on that cam, wearing the insulation off of the wires...not good.  (ask me how I know)  I solved this by putting a tiny ziptie on the wires where they exit the distributor case; this way, if you pull on the wires from the outside, you can't pull so tight that it gets them up against the rotating shaft of the dizzy.  Put zipties on the inside and outside of the case to really lock them down.

Here's the Hot-spark site https://www.hot-spark.com/1-3BOS4U2L.htm

Call them directly.. they'll set you up with the correct unit. The unit also comes with some white grease... that's used under the igniter as a heat barrier.  Smear that on before you screw it down to the base plate.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

16 minutes ago, zinz said:

Daron says above the Petronix won't fit in the IE dizzy... I have no experience, but give it a try if you already have one. 

I have put the HotSpark units in a couple of IE dizzies over the years with good success.  Very easy to swap it out.  One VERY important tip if you go this route... The wires of the igniter route around the shaft of the distributor and can rub on that cam, wearing the insulation off of the wires...not good.  (ask me how I know)  I solved this by putting a tiny ziptie on the wires where they exit the distributor case; this way, if you pull on the wires from the outside, you can't pull so tight that it gets them up against the rotating shaft of the dizzy.  Put zipties on the inside and outside of the case to really lock them down.

Here's the Hot-spark site https://www.hot-spark.com/1-3BOS4U2L.htm

Call them directly.. they'll set you up with the correct unit. The unit also comes with some white grease... that's used under the igniter as a heat barrier.  Smear that on before you screw it down to the base plate.

Ed

Ed, on the IE unit I was toying with, the base plate was different than the OE Bosch distributors, maybe they changed the base plate at some point but it was different enough. I may still have it, I'll check its compatibility later. What ever I was trying to do at the time I abandoned. 

12 minutes ago, Guest_anonymous said:

Ed, on the IE unit I was toying with, the base plate was different than the OE Bosch distributors, maybe they changed the base plate at some point but it was different enough.

You may be exactly right... The IE units I converted were about 5 years ago and the swap was exact fit. The latest from IE may not be compatible.  Only way to know is get into it.  I have heard that IE will send you a new igniter under warranty; but it will not be any better than the one that just failed.  

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool