• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun With Tii Electric Fuel Pumps

I was digging through my stash of parts and pulled out 2 electric fuel pumps that I didn't remember keeping.  Hmmm...one is really clean.  The other was rusty but intact.  Even has the conical screen at the input.

Pump_Inventory1.jpg.e513076e2722ae47ff2c32c6e9439de2.jpg

So I built a test platform that I plan to use for testing various devices.

PumpTest4b.thumb.jpg.10b4a0bcc46a9155bce354c072cf1678.jpg

Rusty pump worked properly but was leaking at the front.  Dead o-ring.  Clean pump works well too, without leaking.

I did some research and found the o-ring I need at a local seal and bearing shop.

Orings1.thumb.jpg.b4ed538875ce0bcdc138a15a44c7a626.jpg

I resealed the rusty pump and tested it first. Dead!  Click!  I realized that I over-torqued the cover.  I loosened the bolts and it spun but no sucking motion.  I gave up on that pump for the moment.   Any positive experience with replacing o-rings would be appreciated.

I set up my test platform to gauge the flow-through of the clean pump.  I also found out that the Bosch 5series pump is rated at 160 litres per hour (LPH) "unrestricted flow".

PumpTest3b.thumb.jpg.e5c4a16cc4568753a9e637e3f97b9d0c.jpg

Using a jug with a graduated scale on the side I was able to test the volume of fuel delivered over time.

I timed the flow a few times to get a confirmed flow-through rating.

1 litre @ 22 seconds

1 litre @ 23 seconds

1 litre @ 22 seconds.

= 3 litres every 66 seconds

=  163.6 LPH

Not bad!

Lastly, I tried pinching the output flow to get the output pressure.  The fuel pressure gauge I used shot up to >100psi.  I quit the test immediately so I didn't burst a hose.  Obviously I can't pressure test the pump without a check valve system in place. I could use some advice on that issue, OR assume that the LPH is enough to deem the pump "strong".

This seems like a futile exercise because we are mostly using upgraded 5series pumps that are not expensive.  I'm just enjoying the process of keeping the old hardware in service.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I have 3 stock pumps that all leak at the electrical connecter.  They all work and flow roughly the same as Paul's pump and all make at least 100 psi of pressure but I can't use them because of the leaking.  The pump bodies are crimped together and I have not taken the time to try and open one up to see if I can repair it.  If there is someone out there rebuilding these pumps I would be interested in having them take a look at these (besides being the correct pumps for Tii's and Turbo's the factory also used them on the Gp5 CSL race cars  and I would love to put them back on this one)

EARTC CSL.JPG

• Like 2

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

38 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

I have 3 stock pumps that all leak at the electrical connecter.

Are you sure they are leaking at the electrical connector?  Mine appeared to leak in that area and it turned out to be the 40 year old rubber o-ring had turned to plastic.  Replacing the o-ring stopped the leak, but I couldn't get the pump to perform again because the mating surfaces had changed somehow.  I still think it's possible to revive this pump.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Mesa Performance Parts was rebuilding Tii fuel pumps a while back. I don’t know if they still are.

http://www.mesaperformance.com/

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Paul, I’m sure they are leaking around the electrical connector right at the pump body. On my test rig ( much like yours) it was easy to spot.  I tried replacing the o-rings but still no go.  

• Like 1

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

21 hours ago, Preyupy said:

If there is someone out there rebuilding these pumps I would be interested in having them take a look at these (besides being the correct pumps for Tii's and Turbo's the factory also used them on the Gp5 CSL race cars  and I would love to put them back on this one)

My OE pump was rebuilt by Fuel Injection Corp., located in CA. Looking at their website, they are still doing rebuilds:

https://fuelinjectioncorp.com/products/fuel-pumps/

Regards,

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

I did talk to Mesa Performance and they are sending them to FIC.  He said they had a few warranty issues with the rebuilt pumps and the cost got so high they just gave up and started using the new style pumps.  I'll get in touch with FIC and see if they are still doing them.  I looked at the Ebay ad and it looks like they are still in the business.  $250 with a core isn't cheap but to keep things original I might just have to send a few pumps to them (maybe they will give me a quantity discount :-). 

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Byron;

Can you ask FIC what EXACTLY is in a rebuild?

Is it just seals or new motor bushings and contacts?

I have a total of 5 pumps, two of which I bought from Mesa, one of which is suspect, and one other that was new.

and two in cars.....so I am interested too.

You might also ask if rebuilt, what can be done to preserve the pumps for future use, years into the future.......many years into the future...

thanks,

11 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Can you ask FIC what EXACTLY is in a rebuild?

This is the description on their web site:

Remanufacturing Process:

1.    Units are disassembled to component level.

2.    Bearings are cleaned or replaced.

3.    Commutators are resurfaced or replaced.

4.    New brushes installed.

5.    All ‘O’ rings are replaced.

6.    Assembled units are flow rate, pressure checked and tested for amperage draw.

7.    Once the unit meets OEM specifications, the unit is sealed and packaged.

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii