Scottjeffrey

To bench bleed or not to bench bleed.

24 posts / 818 viewsLast Reply

borgpj,

Is that the bench bleeder system made by that Greek company Medusa?    : > )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, borgpj said:

I did bench bleed the new MC, but it was a three-ring circus.  Then I installed it (dripping all the way), and pressure-bled the whole system.  Pressure bleed is probably all that was needed.  I made a bleeder from a garden sprayer, a spare reservoir cap and a pressure gauge, as some others have done. 

IMG_0941.JPG

Wow! You deserve a medal. This is what I pictured and wanted to avoid. I am NOT going to bench bleed it. Can I have your autograph?

Best Wishes,

Scott

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, mlytle said:

Which is...a pressure bleeder.

Just get one of these and use it as a pressure source.   EZ.  Works Everytime

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL0109.htm?pn=PEL-0109&gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCocXAuQ-bygWL2W07EgUskj-auujmFbxfcpdEvDVl0orTx48Mh_denuBoCqMoQAvD_BwE

Christ, Marshall, I've bought parts cars for less than you paid for your bleeder!

I SAID I'm cheap- ass, and I stand by that!

Plus, Pelican got bought out by ECS, with whom I do as little business as I can manage,

I admit, since BMW went all Das Fuhrer on us with non- US parts, I do occasionally buy

a few Fatherland or Nederlands parts from them, but not more than I have to.

t

still awaiting the greatness.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I equipped my Motive pressure bleeder with silicone tubing and plastic valved quick-connects (here: https://www.industrialspec.com/shop/quick-couplings-disconnects/thumb-latch-quick-couplings/plastic-thumb-latch-quick-couplings/40ac-series-acetal-quick-couplings.html) between the MC cap and the pressure bottle so I could disconnect the Motive without losing pressure. Makes refilling the MC reservoir easier. Swiveling port on the MC cap is a very useful upgrade, too.

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Christ, Marshall, I've bought parts cars for less than you paid for your bleeder!

I SAID I'm cheap- ass, and I stand by that!

Plus, Pelican got bought out by ECS, with whom I do as little business as I can manage,

I admit, since BMW went all Das Fuhrer on us with non- US parts, I do occasionally buy

a few Fatherland or Nederlands parts from them, but not more than I have to.

t

still awaiting the greatness.

🙂

mine was only $39 when i bought it 20 years ago.  hundreds of uses later, still works great.  probably works out to less than $0.01 for each use...and i didn't have to kludge something together.   i am cheap also, but i know when buying a proven tool is cheaper than my time to mcguyver something that may not last...  i actually have a second one in the race trailer.  makes one person brake bleeding between sessions simple.

not to say i haven't kludged some stuff along the way though!  👍

while i posted a pelican link, those motive bleeders and the knockoff's are available from many sources.  there are less expensive ones with a plastic instead of aluminum cap.

here ya go.  one of the few sources NOT owned by ECS..

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Motive-Brake-Pressure-Bleeder-BMW.html

Edited by mlytle

(edited)
53 minutes ago, fjord-tii said:

I equipped my Motive pressure bleeder with silicone tubing and plastic valved quick-connects (here: https://www.industrialspec.com/shop/quick-couplings-disconnects/thumb-latch-quick-couplings/plastic-thumb-latch-quick-couplings/40ac-series-acetal-quick-couplings.html) between the MC cap and the pressure bottle so I could disconnect the Motive without losing pressure. Makes refilling the MC reservoir easier. Swiveling port on the MC cap is a very useful upgrade, too.

NICE!

but in deference to Toby....could do the same thing with a $0.29 male to male hose barb and two needle nose vise grip pliers out of the toolbox....🤣

Edited by mlytle

I'm just gonna go to toby's house.

:P

• Like 1

Yes go Ray here's a picture of Toby's shop, the 2 smaller buildings in the foreground are for paint and prep.☺️ 

Boeing Everett Plant.jpg

• Haha 2

My solution to the brake bleeding apparatus shootout.

1. Make sure the bleed screw will open.
2. With wrench fit over the screw nipple, push on the bleed apparatus.
3. Pump the brake pedal. (check valve ensures no back flow.
4. Tighten bleed screw, disconnect and refil reservoir.

No pressurizing the reservoir, no drips, tears or frazzle.
One man job, not rocket science.
End of hose just dangles in the bottle.  Connection to nipple can be just a piece of hose.  I had a fitting from a mighty vac that fit tight, so I used it.
Check valve is like these:

20190811_100955.jpg

• Thanks 1