Yale

Turbo gets hot after a long drive

4 posts / 316 viewsLast Reply

I park in an automated garage in NYC.The garage is only 10 years old but it is rickety. A lady drove into one of the bays and could get her car centered and then someone came by to pick up their car so while the first woman had backed out the bay elevator filled with the exiting car which cause some sort of Laurel and Hardy type car jam.. All this meant I was waiting to park for 20 minutes or so at which point the water temp started to climb. So I shut the car off. When I turned it back on it was not in the red but it was pretty high. I do have an extra fan running. And it will stay on after I shut the car off but I wondered has anyone come up with something to keep the engine cooler? I worry there is not enough cooling going on. 

6 hours ago, Yale said:

for 20 minutes or so at which point the water temp started to climb.

Shouldn't be a problem even at that temperature if the cooling system is working properly........perhaps up to 3/4 but not into the red.

6 hours ago, Yale said:

When I turned it back on it was not in the red but it was pretty high.

Heat soak; all cars do that...and that is why it is sometimes better to keep the engine running, even at a high idle (say 2000 RPM) to keep the coolant flowing.

You can in a pinch turn on the heater with full fan to bring the temp down, but it will make you uncomfortable.

Do you know what oil temperature you were at?

(edited)

There is something wrong, with the larger Turbo Radiator, the larger “tropic” fan (I have never seen a turbo with the small 4 blade fan) and a 80 deg C T-stat my car will idle <1000rpm on a 100 deg F day and never get above mid gauge (actual 190 deg F).  First thing to do is put a thermometer (or use an infrared heat gun) and check to see how accurate your gauge is ( a poor ground will cause the gauge to read high, does the needle move when you turn on the lights or heater fan? If so you have some bad contacts in the dash) the next step would be to see how much temp drop there is from the top to bottom of the radiator ( it might need to be flushed).  You might also have a badly corroded water pump that is not pumping efficiently at low rpms.  Retarded ignition timing will also make it run hot.  

Edited by Preyupy

Thanks E and P. I had the cooling system gone through and had the fan come on sooner and it seems to be doing the trick, running a little lower the mid point as a norm, not starting out the day running a bit hot and not getting towards the red after a spirited drive and then waiting to pull into my garage on a hot day.Thank you for your advice.