• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 2002tii Project on B.A.T.

Conserv

Price: $100

Description:

Not mine. No affiliation.

VIN 2762684, manufactured October 10, 1972.  55th U.S. 1973 tii built (not significant, simply an early 1973)

This is a no-reserve auction. Yes, I understand that much of an auction’s action occurs in the last minutes or seconds. But I am shocked at the lack of buzz about this car.

Sure, my first ‘02 was a sunroof Chamonix with gorgeous Navy Blue interior — which I, unceremoniously wrapped around a tree — so perhaps the Chamonix subject car is pulling strongly on my heart strings. But really!

This car is not presently pretty: because no one has slapped a cheapie paint job on it to make it beautiful. No “lipstick on a pig” here! So you can actually see what you’re buying. Hmmm... Lots of photos. Rust doesn’t look as bad as you’d expect. Did I mention the sunroof?

More comments later on the mileage — maybe. But don’t buy this because it has 25K or 125K miles. Thou should getest thee to Stratford and checkest this out!

Regards,

Steve

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-2002tii-29/

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 minutes ago, mbausa2001 said:

Never understood how a sunroof could have such a profound impact on one’s psyche! : ) 

You either love them — I’m in that camp — or couldn’t care less. There is no middle ground! ?

Regards,

Steve

Bet Rob S. is watching & waiting.

I like Chamonix, but I don't think it provides the same opportunity to show off "patina" as darker colors.  Quality repaint in order for this one for sure.

Wish I were closer!

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

The rust is scaring folks. It seems to be on every seam and anywhere metal meets metal. I'm 40 years out of my bodywork days. Are there new processes to assure it won't come back?

And one of the best all time color combos. When do you ever see blue interior in a car anymore?

• Like 3

'72 2002 Tundra/Saddle,

'72 2002tii Ceylon/Black 

'89 325is Alpine White/Sand - 88 535is Royal Blau Gray Leather M Cloth

22 hours ago, resra said:

And the shop the car is in, looks to be doing a lot of highend cars. The 1st picture of the tii on BAT and you can see on the lift a David Brown 4? I'm sure they won't misrepresent the tii. 

Yes, it’s a respected and well-known shop in Connecticut!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Although I have no affiliation, I’m very happy to see this sell at $10,500. Someone paying that amount realizes what they are buying and is likely to spend the dollars needed to bring this classic combo (round taillight, tii, Chamonix with Navy Blue, sunroof) back to life! ?

My fear was that this would fetch $2,500 and be parted out... 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, 02Les said:

And this decent one that ended a day or so ago, with pretty much full history, only made a few hundred $$ more bid. I wonder why?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002-automatic/

One word: automatic.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

9 hours ago, Conserv said:

One word: automatic.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

That's a shame☹️

Put a tii on BAT in a drastic condition and all the usual suspects/experts come out extolling its virtues in the hope of getting the Seller a better price.

Put an Auto on BAT, even with impeccable history, and you can hear a pin drop.

IT'S AN '02; don't we like them all?????

They were once the go-to for 5 speed swaps, but, since dubious quality 5 speeds are $1k+, Autos no longer needed?

Like I said, it's a shame.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

21 minutes ago, 02Les said:

IT'S AN '02; don't we like them all?????

Sure.... we just like some sub-models more than others.... ?

If ‘02’s are still collected 50 years from now, perhaps the manual transmission cars will be viewed as “un-driveable” relics — “Why does this car have three pedals?” — and the much rarer automatics will attract a premium.... ?

The 2002A was in no danger of being parted out; the tii was!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv