• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

12V Battery options

ash00

Hey gang!

It's been a while since I posted - but thought I'd gather some opinions on some aftermarket 12V dry / agm batteries.  I'm looking to relocate to the trunk with a custom strut bar / disconnect - but wanted to get as light / small as possible with enough juice for my m42 starter. 

What are people running?

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

No need for trunk location anymore. I put an Anti Gravity Lithium Phosphate under my seat. Weighs 3 pounds. (that's not a typo)

Search function is your friend.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

2 minutes ago, NYNick said:

No need for trunk location anymore. I put an Anti Gravity Lithium Phosphate under my seat. Weighs 3 pounds. (that's not a typo)

Search function is your friend.

Now that's cool!

Edited by Senna27

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

Yeah, looks interesting.  How long have you had it? There's no BMS or any supporting electronics - just plug and play?

Aashish

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

So far so good with the Braille B3121… for 6 months now. Also with a host of new current draws, such as stereo and electric fan that will sometimes stay on a few minutes after shutoff… it will float back and hold at 12.8 volts (fyi… AL41x @ 65A)

IMG_4599.jpg.3d8116d0f4e74537e34a8e45e2aecefd.jpg

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I think NYNick has this one:

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx12-hd-rs/

I'm looking at this one for a little bit more:

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx20-rs/

I removed my battery tray when I was stripping my engine bay with the intention of putting a battery in the trunk.

Now I'm thinking I'll just mount one of these batteries in the stock location and not bother with running cables all through the car.

Looks like Pegasus Racing has them cheaper:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=ANTIGRESTART

• Like 2

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

AGM's are kinda a commodity sold by weight.  any brand AGM 16lbs or greater works well in these cars.  a LOT less expensive than the LiPO batteries and in a street driven 2002, the weight difference is irrelevant.  plus you don't need to worry about a BMS or having your battery explode from overcharging.

under rear seat is THE place to put an AGM.  

many threads on this topic can be found, and i believe there is an Article on the under seat install.

i use these in 2002 and motorcycles.

https://www.batterymart.com/c-big-crank-batteries.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw36DpBRAYEiwAmVVDMLu4JxIp-jHzgOtbwRdtFzXgR0AxPXoEXwj9XV4G7xppv4KnC546ExoCitoQAvD_BwE

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 2

2xM3

And...if you're a traditionalist/luddite (take your pick), an good old-fashioned 19th century technology lead acid battery in a Group 26R works just like the factory intended!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, mlytle said:

AGM's are kinda a commodity sold by weight.  any brand AGM 16lbs or greater works well in these cars.  a LOT less expensive than the LiPO batteries and in a street driven 2002, the weight difference is irrelevant.  plus you don't need to worry about a BMS or having your battery explode from overcharging.

under rear seat is THE place to put an AGM.  

many threads on this topic can be found, and i believe there is an Article on the under seat install.

i use these in 2002 and motorcycles.

https://www.batterymart.com/c-big-crank-batteries.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw36DpBRAYEiwAmVVDMLu4JxIp-jHzgOtbwRdtFzXgR0AxPXoEXwj9XV4G7xppv4KnC546ExoCitoQAvD_BwE

I think my Anti Gravity cost me $225. I like the fact that I'm saving 30 plus pounds and at the rate I was going, another $225 wasn't going to break the bank. That happened long ago...lol.

Weight savings was always high on my list anyway, even though it's a street car. I never liked the look of the trunk mount systems and enjoy the cleaned up engine bay. True, I had to buy a different charger, but the motorcycle ones are cheap enough. Plus, I'm never going back to lead acid for my other cars, so there's that.

20181208_135419 (1).jpg

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I've had the TEP rear battery holder for a while, but resisted fitting it to avoid drilling the shock towers, silly I know as the tower already has a dirty great hole for the shock to pass through, an Optima red top will go into the holder soon, I'm asking a local guy to fit 2 circular clamp type mounts to it, so I can put it over the tower mounts and be fixed by tightening a bolt/clamp.

The useful thing wrt the holder / non brace ? Is it gives something to tie a load off to and fit a cut off switch all at once.

I like the under seat idea but access for me would be difficult, so the trunk is an easier option.

I have a Tii so it's all the more attractive for me to get the battery out of the engine bay, even though my tray unbolts. The battery sits in a very useful spot to aggregate cabling nicely for the many add ons we all run on our cars, the battery relocation should almost be a de facto mod I think.

just some rambling thoughts to consider.

I gotta look at that braille! Neat setup!! Thanks for the feedback folks! Gotta a few things to think about and a budget

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Aashish

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP