bimmerwork

getrag 5 speed transmission

10 posts / 442 viewsLast Reply

i have a getrag 5 speed trans.  how can i determine if nit is a 245 or 242 ?  i need to order parts and need know to do that.   it does have the added 69mm section to fifth gear overdrive.

also there is a threaded bore on the top of the main case, not the vent,  my guess is it is for then back-up light switch, is that correct ?

thanks in advance...

Will     That email address IS MINE !   the other member is me...

242 is a four speed. Threaded hole is indeed for backup switch, though there is also an Allen bolt above the selector shaft that threads into rear case.

If it has the extension then it's a 245. If you need bearings, gaskets and or syncro's they're still available, everything else is NLA.

I think that bearings are now almost impossible to find at least the layshaft one is.... so I’ve been told.

thanks guys for the info on the 242/245 issue... i'm only looking for the "pin" that the throw-out bearing lever pivots on, and the small plugs that close off holes in the case.  understanding which trans that i have will make things much easier to find in the ETK.

2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Sorta on this topic, I see that Metric Mechanic still lists 245 rebuilds; does this mean that they have a stash of bearings, or is that something that's not really included in their rebuilds?

• Thanks 1

Why not just read the ID numbers off the transmission itself?

Because they identify the castings, not the transmission itself.  Thus, the OP might conclude he

has a composite of 240, 232, and 245, since the 3 sections usually have those numbers, or similar, cast into them.

t

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 5:50 PM, bimmerwork said:

thanks guys for the info on the 242/245 issue... i'm only looking for the "pin" that the throw-out bearing lever pivots on, and the small plugs that close off holes in the case.  understanding which trans that i have will make things much easier to find in the ETK.

The throw out arm pivot is available from Ireland Engineering as a bronze replacement. If you carefully pivot one side of the selector rod plugs with a punch, you can pull or pry them out and reuse them. Just use a sealer on the flat edges during install.