2002Scoob

OT- Non-02 Head Gasket Advice

12 posts / 204 viewsLast Reply

Heyo. I’m remotely advising my best bud back in California who’s attempting a HG replacement on his Toyota Matrix. I feel like I’ve graduated from from noob to amateur when it comes to building motors, but thought I’d tap the brain-trust that helped me build mine.

The original HG burned thru between 3 and 4, surprisingly the head didn’t take the majority of the damage... it’s an alloy head, on an alloy block.

1ebd9df8f6816d4eddb25afe988b86de.jpg

Here’s the head in that area-

83d91e92c8713cf329c555622e8ad71a.jpg

And head overall, before being cleaned up-

5e0b2265dd56477a0a46fc0762cd533d.jpg

And the block-

83b154be9a3151fc28bc73faa6370e3f.jpg

cdafc46e06cfd8412f89715f27cfae02.jpg

cce552590fa809658b3631fdc63b180f.jpg

I’m mildly impressed, as it appears that detonation was enough to deform the lip of the steel piston liners in and down on the edges. Cool.

Obviously he finds it less cool, because my follow up advice was that I think the block needs to be decked to clean that up... obviously this complicated things, because he’s not equipped for the complexity of pulling the motor complete.

He’s hoping I’ll tell him that it’ll be OK to just spray some copper gasket sealer on the head gasket to take up the slack, and button it all up. I’m having a hard time doing that. But I’m a perfectionist.

He’s hoping to just get a year or less of driving outa it and sell it with minimal effort/investment.

What do y’all think?

Deck the head?

Deck head and block?

Or just clean up the faces at home, spray the gasket with copper spray and button it up? How far ya think he gets till the new gasket fails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably have to deck head and block and it looks like cylinders also need boring, But then how much can you skim on block or head and not run into issues, Valve clearance, Compression etc. A good machine shop is going to have to evaluate all of this which means your at least looking at total rebuild

I think I see a few sunk valves on head also

If this is OT and NON-02 why isn't this thread in the OT????????????

3 minutes ago, jimk said:

Don't you have an engine management system to swap out?

:D

4 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Don't you have an engine management system to swap out?

I don't think I could get any usable advice here for it, so you never see questions from me for it.

Just now, jimk said:

I don't think I could get any usable advice here for it, so you never see questions from me for it.

That's not true! My advice is always useful as an example of twisted humor!

Judging by the amount of question marks, somebody is pretty grumpy for being the weekend.

Admins are more than welcome to move so you don’t have to reply-

“DUPLICATE POST?!?!?????!??!?!!???!”

Have a nice day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Damn.  I'll talk with Jim about getting my ECU set up, that should help that.

I'll say it.  If I was trying to fix that thing on the cheap and only drive it for a year, I'd clean up the bore lips by hand (dremel?), block sand the top of the block just enough to get the high points off and send it.  Couple of outcomes; it pops the HG next week, it doesn't...  Don't let it get hot, don't hammer on it, just drive it easy...  What's the worst that happens?  He's out his time and he has to do it again?  Best that happens?  It's fine and works as it should.  (I have very little experience building engines and am also from the anal-retentive prick camp when it comes to mechanical stuff, but not all problems need F1 or MotoGP solutions.)

Edited by irdave
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, irdave said:

Damn.  I'll talk with Jim about getting my ECU set up, that should help that.

I'll say it.  If I was trying to fix that thing on the cheap and only drive it for a year, I'd clean up the bore lips by hand (dremel?), block sand the top of the block just enough to get the high points off and send it.  Couple of outcomes; it pops the HG next week, it doesn't...  Don't let it get hot, don't hammer on it, just drive it easy...  What's the worst that happens?  He's out his time and he has to do it again?  Best that happens?  It's fine and works as it should.  (I have very little experience building engines and am also from the anal-retentive prick camp when it comes to mechanical stuff, but not all problems need F1 or MotoGP solutions.)

Fair advice! 

That's kinda my thoughts too... But I've only built my motor, and I polished the heck outa' my mating surfaces. I don't have any experience with assembling less-than-ideal situations. 

Anybody out there just slapped somethin' together on this level and it came out OK? or failed spectacularly? 

Tips, tricks, black magic?

34 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

Fair advice! 

That's kinda my thoughts too... But I've only built my motor, and I polished the heck outa' my mating surfaces. I don't have any experience with assembling less-than-ideal situations. 

Anybody out there just slapped somethin' together on this level and it came out OK? or failed spectacularly? 

Tips, tricks, black magic?

I think you're asking the wrong people.  Need to ask in a lower budget forum- some redneck truck forum.  Or the Lemons racing forum- Grass Roots Motorsports kinda' guys...  Those guys build stuff out of a junkyard all the time.

• Like 1

Yah, perhaps your right. 

I guess it's nice that the 02 community isn't too hack...

That or we're all too proud to admit to committing such automotive sins.. haha. 

• Haha 1