BarrettN

Confirmation needed - no crush washer on kuglefischer banjo?

5 posts / 151 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Looking at realoem and reading here I haven't ever come across how the banjo bolt (and the rear pressure valve on the fuel return) seal. Then again, my experience with banjo bolts is minimal. I'm correct that there's no crush washer or anything on either of those fittings, right? What seals them, do  I need to do anything for them to seal properly when I reinstall them? I just got the new (to me) tank for my tii and will now go through the fuel system (been busy dismembering my parts car as well) and was too lazy to rig up a temporary fuel supply so that once clean I can verify the fuel pressure and delivery volume.

Barrett

Edited by BarrettN

I use copper washers on either side of the banjo bolt and on the rear fitment.

Don't torque too tight.

(edited)

Yes, there is a washer on each side of the banjo bolt.  I don't know if they are "crush" washers per se, but they are there. 

+1 Einspritz:  copper washers will work fine.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Copper seal washer rings get hard when they are squeezed (work hardening).  Heated to a cherry red then air cooled, they become dead soft again.  This it the std procedures for the copper head gaskets on the old Triumph motorcycles.

There is a rubber sealing (O) ring on the pressure maintenance valve.  BMW has not listed that separately (only the valve itself). The KF pump manual shows it but not the actual size.  Believe there are several FAQ threads on this subject.