• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Italian Air Horns ?

One of the earliest mods was the Italian Air Horns . There were several brands.

the most popular were the ones claimed to be Maserati and made a distinctive 

tuteling 4A015AAA-5479-404D-A2CC-FF10EBFC9486.thumb.jpeg.7149f783d1f8972c897e849e0aca9069.jpegsound that require 3 horns.

the one pictured came from a 1968 

im not sure what to expect ounce it works.

anyone have knowledge of this brand or model?

21356912-3876-4A26-9646-976B216E1A6C.jpeg

C170DB19-70EE-4133-A5F7-EBB090EAF7F7.jpeg

I have a set of three horns that sound similar to the ones in this video... which were (are) made by Stebel.

Here is a listing with these horns for sale.  It even lists the frequency for each horn.

https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/Triple-Trumpet-Car-Air-Horn-Kit-12-volt-Italian-Design-Stebel-Set-with-New-Relay-/ZPN-01288

The set I have are really very loud.  I've not installed them in the 2002 though.  Tough to find a discrete place to mount them.  The horns in my set are mounted in a triangular pattern.  I've considered making a straight line bracket to hold them; thinking it'd be easier to make them fit.  

Does your compressor pump air when given 12V?

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

38 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I have a set of three horns that sound similar to the ones in this video... which were (are) made by Stebel.

Here is a listing with these horns for sale.  It even lists the frequency for each horn.

https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/Triple-Trumpet-Car-Air-Horn-Kit-12-volt-Italian-Design-Stebel-Set-with-New-Relay-/ZPN-01288

The set I have are really very loud.  I've not installed them in the 2002 though.  Tough to find a discrete place to mount them.  The horns in my set are mounted in a triangular pattern.  I've considered making a straight line bracket to hold them; thinking it'd be easier to make them fit.  

Does your compressor pump air when given 12V?

I have the same set you have in my o2

i just hooked it up to my exiyhorn

wiring 

I did not have to drill any 

used various existing bolts 

Thanks guys but, the Horns your sharing are not what got everyone excited back in the 70’s.

the Horns I’m referencing make a modulating sound , in other words the low and high horns do not sound at the same time, they rotate into a Tutely sound

i found the sound on YouTube but I don’t know how to share the link.

now I need replacement horns 

Stebel and Fiamm are both long-term brands (check a Vielem B Haan catalog from the late 60s).  And they're LOUD.  I've long subscribed to what I modestly call "Mike's inverse horn theorem":  the smaller the car, the louder the horns need to be.  I've had air horns on my cars since the mid 60s, when you could buy a set at Sears!  And they're very effective in startling complacent drivers into activity.

I mounted mine thusly:  compressor & its relay directly behind the left headlight, on the radiator support bracket.  Horns on a bracket mounted where the left electric horn used to be.  With the compressor thusly mounted, you can run a heavy wire directly to the battery + terminal, and to the compressor via the relay.  Run the "trigger" wire from the relay to the wire you detached from the recently removed horn, ground the relay and you're done.  Then both the remaining electric horn and the air horns will be triggered by your existing horn button.  You want as short a run of hose as possible between the compressor and the horns so they'll blow quickly, but by leaving the other electric horn in place, it'll take up the slack.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

in other words the low and high horns do not sound at the same time, they rotate into a Tutely sound

What you want are French police horns.  The warble between a high and low note.  And you can buy 'em still (I think).  And even if not, one of our electronics wizards here on the FAQ could come up with a simple circuit that would alternate current flow between two terminals to which you could attach electric horns.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This link will give you a bajillion tunes to choose from.  Some even use six horns.  You've got a puzzle there, trying to match horns to whatever tune your compressor is trying to play.

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

This link will give you a bajillion tunes to choose from.  Some even use six horns.  You've got a puzzle there, trying to match horns to whatever tune your compressor is trying to play.

Thanks 

now where can I buy horns for the one I’ve got ?

I have a set of Fiamm Air Horns on my 2002.
I got tired of folks pulling out in front of me. I also have a set of the same horns on my Miata.
The Fiamm Riveria air horns are available on Amazon and are now made in China, but they work well with no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

If your horns aren’t working, try spraying oil or WD 40 into the horns.
Also reverse wires and try spraying oil into compressor air intake and run compressor by using horn button.
This should get your compressor working. Put the wires back where they belong and try the horn..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car